Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a GE model GSS25XSQA SS refrigerator. The ice maker

Customer Question

I have a GE model GSS25XSQA SS refrigerator. The ice maker is not dispensing ice or crshed ice. When we engage the dispenser, it makes a loud clunking noise, like the drive is slipping off of the auger bar. The dispenser bucket is set as far back at is can go, and occasionally i can get ice cubes to dispsense, but as soon as we try to go to the crushed settingm it will make that clunking sound and nothing will dispense.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
If you open the freezer door and tape the freezer door light switch , so the unit thinks the door is closed . then try the dispenser and see if the augar arm turns ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It does, then it seems that the auger just seizes and stops moving, then the bucket pops forward as the drive slips past the auger. I am able to remove the bucket and move the auger arm in reverse with no problem, but only get about 3/4 revolution moving forward.

OK so you need to replace the augar motor assembly.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

click here for part info

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure why the motor assembly would be the problem when that is not stopping. It continues to turn. The auger itself stops, then the bucket moves forward and the drive then slips past the auger making the clunking sound as it then drops back into place. Upon closer inspection and further dis-assembly, it looks like the crushed ice blades are the culprit as they are not crushing the ice, they are getting buried into a cube or cubes and that is stopping the auger. Then the whole bucket moves forward just enough for the drive to slip past the auger arm. After taking it apart more, I see that the drive shaft seems to have poked though the face of the inner bucket.

oh ok that a differant story if the motor is still turning . Your last post led me to beleive it was only turning 3/4 of a turn !

On the racks mounted on the wall the tray should be dropping down and locking in place on the tracks .

Either the tracks are worn or the icecontainer hook is worn.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hmmm... the track hooks seem to be engaging. I wonder if that drive shaft poking through the inner part of the bucket (about a 1/4 inch) is allowing the auger to move just enough forward that the drive is able to slip past when there is a load applied, due to the crushed ice feature. Is it possible to replace just the inner bucket and use the existing auger pieces and drive shaft?

look at the rear lip of part number 355 it may have worn away .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here