Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Why does my gas oven no longer preheat?

Why does my gas oven no longer preheat?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a full model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door or remove the drawer below the door.

Also, can you turn broil on for 5 minutes and does the broiler still heat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The full model number is XXXXX

I just turned broil on for 5 minutes. It seems to be heating.

It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you. Below is a link to the igniter you'll need to order and replace.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.