Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My whirlpool gas dryers burner turns on fine, the drier heats

My whirlpool gas dryer's burner turns on fine, the drier heats up the it turns off after three to four minutes and stays off until the unit is turned off and left to cool for 14 to 20 minutes.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

First, make sure your vent is cleaned and the best way to do that is just run a cycle without the vent hose connected to the back of the dryer to see if things change. If your dryer still won't dry properly, then this is a pretty common issue unfortunately and it means that your gas coils are starting to fatigue and need to be ordered and replaced. As the coils heat up, the unit stops opening the valve or can't hold it open as long as intended because it gets weak. You just need to order and replace the 2 black cylinder gas coils located directly in front of the igniter. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ran the dryer without the exhaust connected, and it still turned off. The repair videos indicated that bad coils would prevent the gas burner from starting when the dryer is first turned on. So they also cause it to cut out after starting?

yes, that is correct. The repair videos are not always accurate. Just trust what I'm saying as I do this for a living and generally the valves don't completely cut out. They will work in the beginning until they warm up---then they stop working until they cool down again if you leave them alone for 30 minutes or so.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, thanks. I just ordered the coils.

No problem and if you need anything else, please just let me know and I should be around.