gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs

My Frigidaire 22.6 cubic foot French Door refrigerator stopped

My Frigidaire 22.6 cubic foot French Door refrigerator stopped cooling in the refrigerator compartment. The lower freezer is working fine. The model number is XXXXX It is less then one year old.
Hi there, open the freezer, look at the wall, tell me if you see any frost build up and if you can here the circulation fan running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, there is frost buildup on the back wall. And I hear a humming sound, but not sure if that's the circulation fan.

Ok, great so it seems that your defrost system has failed, which is why your fresh food section will not cool properly. threre are two components that always fail, it is either the heater or defrost thermostat. are you going to work on it yourself? if so i will provide you with the part numbers and a diagram.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not comfortable changing a part myself. This is a vacation home in Hawaii and I just returned here after being gone six months. The refrigerator was left on while I was gone, but a higher than normal temperature. It worked fine when I returned for one day, then both the freezer and refrigerator stopped working. By elevating the temperature of the freezer by two degrees I was able to get it working again. Would it help to remove the frost?

I understand, sure you can thaw the frost by using a blow dryer, that it a temperorary fix that will last about a few weeks, until you are able to get it repaired.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that! Thanks, Juan

If i have been helpful please remember to click on a smiley face.Smile