SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

I am having a problem with the evaporator frosting up in the

I am having a problem with the evaporator frosting up in the fresh food section. The evpaortaor fan motor is running. Any idea why?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. How big is the section of frost?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If the frost goes all the way across the machine and is more than 6" tall you have either a stuck thermostat or weak compressor. If you have only a 6" circle patch more on the left hand side then you have a leak of the refrigerant called an evap leak. Let me know what you find and i can help you with the next step.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I see we may be having issues with chat, I'll switch to Q&A.

Customer: The entire evaporator was covered and it was coming through the back wall of the fresh food section. I manually defrosted it and am waiting to see what happens now.
Please let me know what you find. Hope you can see the above posts.
Do you have the model and serial number? It sounds like it may be the control.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have that available tonight, I would have to get that tomorrow. Are you thinking cold control?
If its a 500 series then yes a cold control could be at fault. If its a 600 electronic series then we can check the thermistors at the board and a connection behind the back wall.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It would be a 600 series as it has electronic controls. I have replaced the thermistor behind the evaporator. It was running to cold, when I plugged a new thermistor in it changed the temperature in the diisplay by several degreese. I assume I need to check the thermistors for a certain ohms reading?
Did you check both thermistors (wall and evap)? There was an issue with corrosion at the connectors. We can check at the control when you get there. If you hold down one of the colder buttons and then press the unit on/off button you will enter tech mode. you can then switch through all the temps by pressing the colder button. Look for any temp that says EE. You may also have a stuck relay for the compressor. turn the unit off at the on/off button. Hold down both switches at the top and check and listen for if the evap fan is still running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check the items you have mentioned and contact you again while I am with the unit, if possible. You have been very helpful. I will make sure to indicate that in my review, if possible. This is my first time using this site. Thanks again for the help.
No problem, This question will stay open as long as you would like. Feel free to post anytime and I will reply promptly. Sorry for the chat room issue. ~ Sam
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. No worries on the chat room issue.