Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Model GE Refrigerator 20-27 side by side, freezer works, refrigerator

Model GE Refrigerator 20-27 side by side, freezer works, refrigerator is not cooling even on highest setting. Defrost timer was replaced several weeks ago, then it worked fine. Now refrig is not cooling. Freezer is fine, making ice. Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Do you remember the part number for the timer that was installed?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mode No TFX22CRX

I do not have the defrost timer info

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I read the freezer is cooling ok, take a look at the freezer control, is that set somewhere near the middle of the control range?

If it is open the freezer and look at the lower part of the rear wall. Can you see frost on that lower panel? Anything other than a painted panel?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No frost or ice formation in freezer panel. I did locate time info and it is GE TFX22CR autodefrost timer, replaced about 3 weeks ago.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand, thank you. Is the fan in the freezer blowing air?

Check over on the fresh food side under the light cover at the top. Can you feel light airflow there?

Also what is the temperature control for the freezer set at? If its set to maximum that will keep all of the cold in the freezer.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No air flow under light

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Where is the freezer control set?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

D

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
And is that near the center of the range?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A little past center, A-E is control setting for freezer

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Perfect thank you. Either the fan in the freezer is not operating to blow the air over to the fresh food section or there is frost clogging the coils behind that lower panel in the freezer.

If the freezer fan is operating unplug the refrigerator, remove everything from the lower part of the freezer and remove the screws from the lower panel arrowed in the diagram. This is inside near the floor of the freezer and about 2 feet up. I think there are 4 screws.

What do the coils look like behind that panel? Take your time.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I will do this, but it will be later. I am pretty sure it is time to buy a new frig.

Thanks again

Debbie Sanders

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand Debbie. I don't think you need a new one because the freezer is still cold. The air is not circulating from the freezer to the fresh food side. I will be here, I take a break around midday. My normal hours are 8 to 8 eastern time, if you will save this page to your favorites you can come right back here when your ready.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry, as it turns out I won't have any help today as I thought I would. I believe with the information you have given me, I can hopefully get it looked at in the next few days. I certainly appreciate your advice. Please let me know how to give you an excellent rating.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Debbie, you can do that here. If you decide you want to ask a followup question please do that. That is perfectly ok to do.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.