SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

fire coming from the microwave of our kenmore microwave wall

fire coming from the microwave of our kenmore microwave wall oven mount model 790, it is coming from behind the silverplate on the right inside of the microwave.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. This arcing can be caused by food or food splatters getting on the plate (called wave guide cover) or a failure of the microwave antenna (magnetron). The best thing to do is remove the wave guide cover and check for exposed metal at the arcing area. If there is exposed metal then you will continue to see this arcing even after replacing the offending part and the unit is not repairable.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you can wipe off the black marks around the arcing and do not see any exposed metal then I would suggest replacing the wave guide cover as it is cheap and easy to do. If you end up needing to replace the magnetron then you will have to call a repair person.

Customer:

ok, I removed the cover plate and it looks as though the plate was heated to the point that the coating has bubbled off. does this mean I need to remove the cover plate and that is it or is there a more serious problem?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You will need to replace the plate for sure but if you don't see any signs of the metal being exposed below the paint on the unit itself then the plate is all you need. should be a 15$ part.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Do you have the full model number so I can look up the correct part number?

Customer:

model num

Customer:

model number 31827900C. i can flake off the metal coating with my finger on both sides of the plate. What do you think?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You need the plate for sure.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

That model number is XXXXX coming up on sears (kenmore) parts lists. Are there some other numbers on the tag?

Customer:

yes, there is a serial # XXXXX the # XXXXX gave you has an "M" next it, thought that might be it. User guide says model # XXXXX

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

should be something like 790.xxx.xx.xx

Customer: (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks! Looking it up right now.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Here is a link to the part at a reputable dealer. Sears is back ordered.

Customer:

I just want to be clear, you think replace the cover plate and if it still arcs I need to call a repair man?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Exactly, but from what you have told me, I doubt that you will need to replace the magnetron. These covers fail often and are usually all it takes unless you have damage from continually (a lot) using the machine after you see arcing.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Anything.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

More than happy to help you with anything else you need to know about the machine/problem.

Customer:

I was just checking the link you sent me. i found a plate that says for fridgedaire, would this be it?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you read the text a little further it says that its also good for kenmore. Kenmore doesn't make anything they only buy other brands and put their sticker on them. In this case they bought a frigidair.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

A little know appliance fact, most brands are not the brand you think.

Customer:

got it. thanks so much, you have been a big help.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

No problem, have a great day!