Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

My fridge isnt cooling well. Any ideas?

My fridge isn't cooling well. Any ideas?
Hello..Can you tell me the model number please..? If it is a side by side..HAve you noticed a lot of frost buildup on the INSIDE back wall of freezer..? What kind of work did you do to the sensor..? Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bob,

Through this website, another tech assisted me in changing out the top sensor. I checked the glass tube on the bottom; it was fine. Until then, there was frost on the freezer back panel and the coils were frozen solid, so I defrosted those. It has been working fine for about a week. Just now, the fridge side is warming - I have it set at the top setting too. Model # XXXXX the side by side is GSH25SGPC SS

Thanks, Tim

You changed out the The defrost thermostat #240..? The glass tube is the defrost heater #230 That you are referring to..? If so what method did you use to check the defrost heater..? Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The piece I changed out was #240, the piece for which i was sent a link for ordering. For the glass tube, I was directed to loosen both ends slightly, and slightly twist the rather delicate fiber to see if either end was broken. Neither appeared to be so.

Ok great Tim..That glass tube is the defrost heater..It is the most common failure of this unit..almost 99% of the time it goes bad..If you look at it ..If it looks a greenish corroded color ..Then most likely it is bad..The best way to tel is to test it with a meter for countinuity..IF you do not have a meter..You can bring it to a local appliance shop ..They will test it at no charge..But like i said..If it is green and corroded then most likely it is faulty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I recall looking at it and thinking it reminded me of old steel wool. Does that sound about right for a faulty one? If so, do you have a link for ordering this part and based on this, do you recommend replacing this? Thanks, Tim

Yes from what you are explaining it sounds like the element is faulty..It is best to first have it tested..CLICK HERE FOR PART Thanks Bob