Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a portable Maytag dishwasher. The model # XXXXX: MDC5100AWB.

I have a portable Maytag dishwasher. The model # XXXXX: MDC5100AWB. Serial #: 27192358AA. The dishwasher shuts itself off while running. If you go and push the door closed, it will start where it left off. This happens approx. 5 times during the cleaning cycle. Can you give me an approx. cost of repair, and what is wrong with it? Would we be more ahead to purchase a new washer since this one is getting old. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Good morning, Sandy! Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Do you only have to push the door shut to get it to start again?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, Kelly, you do have to push it fairly hard though.

Does it seem that it is hard to close?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, last question. Does the door seem to be shut securely once you shut it and does it stay shut?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The door does shut securely, and the washer starts to run, but at some point during the wash cycle, it shuts down. The door does not come open, nor does it leak water. You just have to push securely on the top of the door to have the cycle continue where it left off. This also happens during the rinse cycle, and the dry cycle also.

Thank you for your patience during my interrogation, Sandy! Wink Considering the door is shut securely and does not appear to come loose at all, I suspect a very common problem, a faulty door switch. I would recommend replacing the switches, shown as number 5 in the diagram, pictured and available below. Access to replace the switches is gained by removing the screws from around the inner door panel and separating the doors. I would recommend replacing both switches at the same time. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.