Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

My old refrigerator stopped cooling last night. The motor seems

My old refrigerator stopped cooling last night. The motor seems to keep running and keeps trying to turn on the cooling unit every 2 to 5 minutes but just clicks and draws power as the light goes dim for a few seconds. Any thoughts?

Hello...

..What you are hearing is the start relay trying to start the compressor..If the compressor does not start..Then the relay resets only to try starting again..If the compressor is faulty then the relay will eventually burn out..It will no longer work. The compressor should not be hot to the touch..If so..Then you have a sealed system problem (Faulty compressor leak in coils etc) Which is a expensive fix..First make sure the condenser coils are not blocked up with lint etc. If ok ..Then your only fix is to replace the Relay/Overload..If the unit is acting the same way after replacing the Relay/Overload..Then the compressor is faulty.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you get my previous reply?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I added that I heard a high pitch noise that lasted like an hour from the refrigerator as well. I looked up the relay on GE's website and they had it listed for $45. Do you have a recommendation where I can find this part? And how much effort should I go into finding the problem if it turns out its the compressor all along? I could probably just find another refrigerator for $100-$150.

What area was the high pitch coming from..? Have you gone around the back of the fridge and felt the compressor..?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I couldn't get to it since it happened overnight and I won't have time to do that til after work but it sounded like it was coming from the back of the refrigerator.

yes that will be the relay or compressor..You are basically taking a 50/50 chance replacing the relay..If it works ..Then the relay was faulty..If not..Then you have compressor problems..A unit that old ..I would be looking for a replacement if the relay does not work..Also first check to see if the fan next to the compressor is running..If not..The compressor will get hot and cause the same problem. Here is a link to a parts supplier input your model number into the search..CLICK HERE Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help Bob.

Chris

No problem at all..Goodluck on your repair..Thanks