Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

Our church has a GE over the cooktop microwave that is one

Our church has a GE over the cooktop microwave that is one year old, model # XXXXX It comes on, the light works, the turntable is turning, but it is not cooking. What could the problem be?
Hello..Can you tell me if when the microwave was working if you noticed that the unit was getting louder as it ran..More of a deeper growling type sound..?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not know if it was or not.

Ok great..If so, this is a telltale sign that the magnetron is/or has failed..The magnetron is what creates the wave to heat up the items..On this unit the magnetron cost $61.00 CLICK HERE FOR PART Problem is replacing the part your self can be very dangerous as microwaves store a extreme amount of voltage even when not plugged in.