Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a Samsung #SMH8165B MFG FEB. 2010 SER: J4KG7M02200635Y The

I have a Samsung #SMH8165B MFG FEB. 2010
SER: J4KG7M02200635Y

The unit under lights started to go thru the cycle-on-low-high-off again and again. The button do not work. I unpluged it and plugged it in many times. I left it unplugged all night and plugged it in again. It was OK for about 20 minutes and it started the on- off cycle again. I misplaced my operations manual. Can you please help?

Dick Trauth [email protected]
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. So the light under the microwave just keeps cycling by itself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It started all by it self and continues until I unplug.

When it gets to the end I can hear a click then it starts again very fast.

Dick Trauth

Okay, the power for the lights comes directly from a relay on the control board. Now, not to insult you or anything but are you pretty handy and do you feel confident on working with ribbon cable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm very handy, have never worked with ribbon cable, only inside a computer (plug-in). I have done house wiring many times but I am not a tech.

This unit is fastened under the kitchen cabinets. I installed it originally. (Did I mention that I am 76 years old?)mabey I should call in a service man, unless you have some kind of instructions to send me.

I think I can do it...if not I;ll by a new one or call a tech.

Sorry about the delay and I think you can do this. Okay your problem is your main control board. The relay on the board for the light is bad (clicking sound) and causing the light to cycle. You need to replace the board to correct the issue. Now to replace the board you will need to first disconnect the power to the microwave. Now take off the top vent cover by removing the screws on the very top of the microwave. One you get that off you will see a screw that holds in the control panel. Remove that screw and lift up slightly on the control panel. Now the panel is hinged so it should stay in place. From there you will see the control board. You need to remove the wires and ribbon cable form the control board to replace. Install is the exact opposite of removal. I am sending you a link to a video that shows you how to replace the board so you can see step by step. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.