Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a whirlpool Kitchenaid retractable downdraft vent system

I have a whirlpool Kitchenaid retractable downdraft vent system installed behind the stove. The last time it retracted, one of the metal filters popped off. There is a microswitch activated by the filter. Without the filter in place, the unit will not raise back up. Si it is stuck in the retracted position.
How can I get it up to re-install the metal filter?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay do you happen to have the model number of the unit we are talking about?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, your retractable unit has a front cover that when it is retracted you can take off and obtain access to all the insides including the filters of the unit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure that is correct. The unit appears to sit in a pre made aluminum box. The installation manual only shows the box as one piece. The unit is secured in place with screws which I can try and remove. It appreas I will have to remove the blower to get to the retractable unit.

Here is a copy of your downdraft. Notice #23 and 27 are nuts that hold on the cover that I am talking about.

KITCHENAID Vent system Housing/control Parts
Here is a link to the diagrams for your unit if the one I sent doesn't come up good enough. Just copy and paste the link in to your browser.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Randy. The blower box is mounted in front of the retractable unit. I removed the cover for the blower and that allows me access to the motor/arm for the retractable I was able to push on the arm and move the unit up and then reinstall the metal screen. It works properly not.

Some models have a bottom mounted blower and some an outside mounted blower. This one the blower was mounted under the countertop, in the cabinet.

Thanks again.

You are so welcome and great job on your part. I guess that was the difference in models between the SS0 and the SS1. Thank you for your time and patience, Randy.