SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have a Jenn Air french door fridge that is 7 years old. Model

I have a Jenn Air french door fridge that is 7 years old. Model jfc2087hrs
Last week the refrig portion developed a strong fishy odor. I clean it regularly, but took everything out of both compartments and cleaned it really, REALLY well. Also pulled it out and cleaned the coils and grille and floor underneath. Everything is SPOTLESS.

I have stuffed it full of newspaper and charcoal briquets for two days now, and the odor remains.

When it was turned off, the odor was less potent. Is it possible that the air that is blowing into the compartment when it's turned on is contaminated somehow?

Please help - I'm desperate!! Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. There is no part of the machine that can generate and odor of this sort. In fact when on and door closed the air inside the unit in contained and no air gets in or out (save a very small amount from the drain hose. You could remove the unit from the install, remove the lower bottom panel on the back and check the drain pan for gunk, but if it was enough to stink up the inside of the machine the entire house would reek. The odds are the smell has permeated the plastic liner. The best way to remove odors of this type is a large amount (2-3 cups) of used (wet) coffee grounds on a plate in the refer for a few days. They will absorb the odor as well as release their own.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If the freezer section stinks as well the same trick should be used but the freezer would have to be off so as not to freeze the grounds and render them useless.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I have used this trick many times and it always seems to work.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Let me know how else I can help. Sam

Customer:

Hi Sam,

Customer:

Customer:

Brewing the coffee right now...will do as you directed and check in again in a couple of days. Thanks very much!!

Customer:

I'll also check the drain pan...just in case. :-)

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Glad to help, Let me know when its all pretty smelling.

Customer:

Hello again - the stench is definitely lessening. I'm going to give it a couple more days with the coffee grounds before I call it "cured".

Customer:

I will definitely give you an excellent rating, but I don't want to close this chat just yet. Is that OK?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

No problem, let me know whenever your satisfied.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman