Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

why does dryer make sheets into bedrolls? how can I prevent

why does dryer make sheets into bedrolls? how can I prevent this?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you only have sheets in the drum, they will tend to roll because they are light fabric. You can add a few towels to the load or a couple of new tennis balls. The towels are quieter and are what I would recommend. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have used 2-3 balls without any satisfaction. I also have dried sheets and towels together and the sheets still roll up tightly. have you any further suggestions?

Is this a new problem? Has the dryer been worked on before? Are the baffles in the drum intact?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Always have had problems for the three-plus years we have had these. I have to correct my original input; WE ARE USING A WHIRLPOOL WASHER AND A MAYTAG DRYER. THE WASHER TIES SHEETS INTO KNOTS AND IF WE UNRAVEL THEM AND THEN LOAD THE DRYER, WE GET BEDROLLS 95% OF THE TIME.

We have all original baffles...undamaged...and have not had any repair service because theree are no sounds indicating poor mechanical condition.

I understand, thank you. I do not have a solution for this beyond what I have posted, so I will opt out for other techs to see. Perhaps one of them have found a solution that I am unfamiliar with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not yet received communication from other experts, so I assume that this cannot be resolved satisfactorily online.

Thank everyone for trying. I assume that this closes my case.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, your case is still open. First these are twisting up in the washer before you put the in the dryer ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It often happens that sheets will twist into knots in the washer. After untying them and loading the washed sheets into the dryer, we often get what look like bedrolls (tightly wound rolls) which are wrinkled of course when the drying cycle ends.

Sorry for the delay in responding today. Tuesday should be better except near mid-day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It often happens that sheets will twist into knots in the washer or else they wind themselves tightly around the spinner(?).

After untying them and loading the washed sheets into the dryer, we often get what look like bedrolls (tightly wound rolls) which are wrinkled of course when the drying cycle ends.

These are king and California king sized sheets.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

usually when these tie in knots in the washer its caused by a low water level. what size load are you doing these in ? how much water is in the tub? also do you have the model numbers ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Washer is Whirlpool model # XXXXX

This is an autoload model, which makes it difficult to know how much water is actually in use.

Dryer is Maytag model # XXXXX

Okay, in the washer reach in and turn the top of the agitator both ways at the top, does it turn all the way around without the bottom moving ? (its a two piece agitator) also when you take the sheets out of the washer are they really wet and heavy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The upper agitator section can be turned clockwise without causing any rotation of the the bottom section.

However, when the top is turned counter-clockwise, the whole agitator rotates as one piece. (Is this not supposed to happen?)

The sheets are not heavy and not very wet when the washer cycles end. They are normal in that regard.

I normally limit this wash load to the two large sheets and 2-3 pillow cases. We have always needed sheets that fit the very thick mattress, approximately 14-inch deep, as I recall.

okay , well the first thing is the sheets shouldn't be doing that in the washer. perhaps these are too big for you washer and dryer. if nothing else (as far as clothes or smaller sheets) don't do this the sheets are maybe to bis and cant distribute properly. I've seen this happen in dryers when the drum spins to fast. the clothes are supposed to ride the baffles up and then drop near the top. I believe however your sheets are just to large for the washer and dryer.if nothing else does that then thats the case.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.