Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore refrigerator with a water and ice dispenser

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore refrigerator with a water and ice dispenser on the freezer door. The ice maker is dripping water.

Kenmore Elite Coldspot
mfg date of our fridge is 6/2000
model # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

This model number is XXXXX it should start with a 3 digit prefix like 110,106,665, or some other combo , can you check that again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i checked again on the label inside the fridge and that is all it says for model number ... could it be in another place?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. well the issue is the electronic fill valve in the back where the waterline from the house connects. I went with the 106 prefix and it brought your model up. you need to order and replace the valve. here the link to order it. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsd irect/part-number/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/2205762/0046/106/Model-10650593000/0583/0165000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=P0050254&diagramPageId=00012&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=10650593000&subCompDesc=Icemaker&brandDesc=KENMORE ELITE&modelDesc=SIDE-BY-SIDE-REFRIGERATOR&blt=11&shdMod=10650593000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is this the same valve for the water dispenser on the door? the water is coming out of the bottom of the box of the ice maker ... it drips inside on the food. The water dispenser on the door is not dripping ... I just want to make sure I explained the issue correctly

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes it is but these are duel valves with two sides.thats why the dispenser isn't leaking. it has its own side of the valve. only the ice maker side isn't shutting tightly. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just replaced the valve a few months ago because the water dispenser on the door was leaking... do you know if there is brand that will last longer

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
are you sure the water is comming from the ice maker ? its unusual that this would fail so quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all I see is water dripping from the bottom of the icemaker box. I thought maybe the small plastic box may be cracked. I am not sure but I thought that is the tray in which the water sits until it freezes but I can't say for sure since I never took one apart

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, the water seems to be comming from the ice maker itself and not the ice auger in the door correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

correct ...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry I had to go out for a bit. okay I would replace the valve then. theres nothing else that would cause this problem as you describe it.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, I replaced the valve and the icemaker still dripps water just like before. Do you think after all that the icemaker is bad

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
wow the only thing I could thing off is your water pressure is too high and the valve isn't holding it back. is the water comming over the top of the ice maker ? overfilling ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i cant tell ,,, icicles form at the bottom of the back edge in the corner and below it on the food there is a frozen puddle.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
okay. can you check the ice maker feed in the back where the water drops into the ice maker itself ? see if theres ice partially frozen in the cup on the back of the ice maker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i checked in the cup u pointed to with the red arrow and it is empty ... i also squeezed the end of the tube that feeds into it and it did not feel clogged. could it bethat the plastic dish has a crack in it that allows water to slowly drip out

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well thats a possibility but is rare. is there water droplets anywhere on the bottom of the ice maker that you can see. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

at the back edge in either corner icicles form that can get as long as 2 inches

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you get the ice maker out ? I'm sorry its taking so long to answer you it seems we are having site issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any tips for taking it out easy

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

take a look at this video and it shows you how to remove it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCBdI9wFzI

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry i could not work on this during the week ... just too much work at my day job ... anyway in the video it says the fingers in the icemaker should point forward and stay up ... in mine they point back towards the back of the fridge ... i dont know if it is related to the drip ... what should i look for after i take it off

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
when you get the ice maker out check for any cracks in the plastic where the water feeds. this is a strange issue. usually its one of the problems I mentioned. sometimes you run into a rare problem thats hard to find. take a good look , and alos see how high the water is in the unit when you get it out. this may be a bad ice maker and putting to much water in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so is the maker that controls its own water level or is it the valve i changed

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes ist a timed fill and if the ice maker motor is running slow it may be overfilling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i think i should just replace i no? .. just to get it over with. do you know what the part number is

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
its on the ice maker itself, you should see a tag, the ice maker isant showing up on the parts list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i took it off ... is it normal to have all this ice in the back tray. The water comes out through the bottom of this tray around a screw hole which is incased in ice right now so I guess the water drips through this screw hole and it forms the icicles hanging off the bottom of this tray

see attached pictures

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

here is the picture with the frozen screw hole

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay did you see where it is leaking or do you think its overfilling ?