Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Whirlpool Duet washer stops washing after 3-4 minutes into

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Duet washer stops washing after 3-4 minutes into the was cycle. I have tried restarting and changing the wash options, but it continues to just stop washing. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

gst85 :

Good morning, when it stops, does it give an error?

Customer: No
gst85 :

Ok, does it stop and start to flash or does it completely shut down?

Customer: It completely stops...shuts down as if it were through with the whole wash cycle
gst85 :

Ok, do you have the spin/dry option on your control panel?

Customer: I have "rinse/drain and spin" which is what I have it doing now to complete the load in process.
gst85 :

Unplug the machine for 5 minutes, lets try to reset the control board. in the mean time i am going to pull up the diagrams and tech sheets and will be right back. i will try not to take up much of your time.

Customer: I think I need to let the rinse cycle finish which should be another 5-7minutes, then I will unplug it
gst85 :

Will it run through the rinse cycle, or will it continue to stop as well?

gst85 :

Are you still with me?

Customer: Yep still here. Yes it has finished the rinse cycle. Will unplug now
Customer: It has been unplugged for 5+ minutes. Next steps.?
Customer: Hello?
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but we seemed to have loosed communication on live chat so i have switched to Q&A. are you still with me?
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, i have switched to Q&A. you may need to do the same on your end.
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
I am having trouble responding to you, im working on this issue now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Are you still on ? Juan has lost you. let me know if you still need help. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm back. Was at church. I still need help. The washer has been unplugged since 8:15

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, when this stops does the door stay locked ? is there water in it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I still need help to answer my washer issue
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you seem to not be getting my questions please respond and tell me if you received this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay great , sorry for the site issues, when this stops does the door stay locked and theres water still in it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door stays locked and the machine beeps, at which point, I hit the off button and water drains and door unlocks
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay so if you hit off it does drain ? it doesn't spin however correct ? when the machine beeps are there lights on the control also flashing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes when I hit off it drains but does not spin. After I have turned off, I move the dial to rinse and spin which it successfully does
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, theres only one thing that would cause that . the CCU (central control unit) remove the screws along the back of the top of the machine and slide the top back and off. this is located under the top. you can order this at http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/W10299978/0026/110?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=W10299978 you need to replace it. thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some questions-- So, that (ccu replacement) is the only cure to my problem? How much is the cost of the part and installation? What would have caused the ccu to malfunction? What other functions does the ccu control?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the CCU is around $129.00 and you can install this yourself to safe the labor which would be around $79.00 for a service call. the CCU actually controls everything but certain functions of it can fail , this is a common failure and theres no set cause for this.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.