Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a Amana refrigerator, Model ABC 2037/DES Amana, purchased

I have a Amana refrigerator, Model ABC 2037/DES Amana, purchased in 2006.
Since then I have replaced the mother board 3 times, 2009,2010 and most recently in June 2012. The refrigerator has a low frequency buzz for 3 seconds and then a click. This happens about 3 minutes apart. The freezer gets warmer. When I unplug the refrigerator for a half hour and then plug it back in, it seems to work well for about a week. Then it starts again. Sometimes it is less than a week. What can I do to resolve this problem?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. First, sorry to hear all the issues you are having. Have you had a power surge or brown out lately?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not to my knowledge.

Okay, the first sound you hear is the compressor trying to start. The clicking you hear is the overload protector for the compressor. Now what is happening is the compressor is trying to come on via the start relay. If it doesn't come on in a set time the overload takes over and disconnect the power to the compressor (which is the clicking) and it reset automatically. So, your problem is either the start relay is bad which is the most common or your compressor has gone bad. However, when a relay goes bad it goes bad permanently and your compressor WILL NOT ever come on. So, that being said with your symptoms it sounds like your compressor is going bad and that is why you can sometimes get it to run and other times not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What does it cost to replace the compressor? Is it worth it or should I just get a new refrigerator?

Okay, I looked up the compressor and the part alone if you get it is about $375 and then you can add another $200 to $300 for installation if you have someone else do it which you have to unless you are EPA certified to install compressors. So, in a nutshell, I would suggest you looking at getting another fridge due to the cost to replace the compressor. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time, patience and understanding, Randy.