Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore Front Load Washer, the drum is out of balance when

Kenmore Front Load Washer, the drum is out of balance when it turns. the shocks and springs are not broken and funtioning normally is there something towards the front of the drum that has come loose.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you run a cycle without any clothes inside, will it still spin out of balance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im checking

OK just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i ran it and it continues to turn like it is off kilter

OK so if the shocks are all connected and the springs on top are connected, this means that the inner basket support has either failed or the bearing has failed. Open the door and spin the tub to see if it spins smoothly. If so, then your bearing isn't the issue, the inner basket support has failed which is what attaches the shaft of the inner tub to the stainless steel tub itself. Unfortunately this is a major issue and will take the better part of a day to disassemble the entire washer and remove the inner basket to replace it. The entire inner basket needs to be replaced because the tub support and shaft are built onto the inner basket. The part is normally about $300 or so depending on the exact model number. I'm really sorry about the bad news.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it doesn't spin smoothly is that the bearings then.

Yes, and that would be a much bigger issue because it requires both an inner tub as well as a rear outer tub. The bearing is built into the rear outer tub and the shaft is built onto the inner basket, that is why you have to order both parts. It's quite a project to replace these parts although not much more work than just replacing the inner basket, but the cost of parts alone will be $500 so a lot of times people will just replace the washer---that is of course up to you.