Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

The lid locked button is flashing red on my Maytag Centennial

Customer Question

The lid locked button is flashing red on my Maytag Centennial washer and the lid is not locked and it won't let me start a load of laundry...what am I doing wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  JCCARVER replied 2 years ago.
please post full model number of unit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

High Efficiency EcoConserve Toploader W10420395

W10338602A

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
It looks like the previous expert has opted out of helping you. Do you still need help with your machine?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
The model number you list is not correct. Can you please look either on the back of the washer if the lid is still locked? The model number and serial numbers will be a sticker on the back of the machine and just under the lid. But if it is still locked you may only be able to get it from the back.

Once I have the full model number I can pull up the model diagrams and help you with more accurate and model specific info for your machine.

I have worked on many centennial model washers before and the lid lock is a very common problem. If the lid is still currently locked and will not let you open it by either canceling the current cycle or by unplugging it for about five minutes then plugging it back in we will have to open it up manually or try to reset the control board to unlock the lid.

And again, it would help me if I could look to see which style machine you have. So please try to look for the model number and get back to me here and I will help you more.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
The model number should look something like this MVWC400XW

Check for it and get back to me here.

Sometimes the control board on tis machine will short out and all you need to do is reset the control board by unplugging it for about five minutes then plugging it back in.

Try that and get back to me here with the full model number is XXXXX can help to more.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

W10304136F is under the lid. The lid opened, just the light for lid locked was flashing red and the start button was doing nothing. Unplugging and replugging seems to have worked. Very simple answer I should have thought of myself, but thank you for your help. I went ahead and took today off work (which I wanted to do anyhow), and tomorrow my scrubs will be clean. Thank you!

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks.

The W10304136F number looks more like a part number then a model number. If you see it directly under the lid then it could be just that, a part number for the lid. But if you see the sticker I am referring to and see the model and serial number and that W10304136F number is listed as the model, then yes, you are correct.

Any case, if the machine is working now be sure to try it out again few times before putting your clothes back in just to make sure the machine is working normally. And if it is then you most likely just had a shorted main control board. Which can happen from time to time on this model machine. It is a pain in the but to say the least.

And then it happens again, just unplug the machine and let it sit for about 20 minutes then plug it back in. This will manually reset the main control board. And if after doing so that doesn't work for you, then the control board may have been too badly damaged and will need to be replaced.

I am glad I could help you with your questions. And thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to get back in touch with me here of you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.