Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a Quiet Series 100 Heavy Duty model that makes a "rubbing/grinding"

I have a Quiet Series 100 Heavy Duty model that makes a "rubbing/grinding" sound when it agitates on Regular cycle. (not on Delicate) My husband has taken the front off and cannot tell where the sound comes from, but I've noticed that it only makes the sound when the innermost tub turns inside the outermost tub. Is this something we can fix ourselves. Otherwise, it works great.............Val
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello Val.

Robert :

Do you have the model number for you unit handy?

Customer:

yes, MAV3855AWW

Robert :

Let me pull that up. How old is the unit also?

Customer:

not sure.........perhaps 5 yrs.

Robert :

That sounds about right. I can get you an exact date of manufacture with the full serial number if you would like.

Customer:

ok.....i'll get it. By the way, I can let you hear the sound by phone if that is possible....

Robert :

Don't have that option via this site but I am familiar with this unit.

Robert :

You said it only makes the noise when agitating, is that correct?

Customer:

only when it agitates on Regular cycle, and really only when there is a full tub of water... it's the worse. Can't find the serial #

Robert :

It sounds like the problem is in the agitator itself. The agitator on is unit is a 2 piece unit that has agitator cams in the middle that make the agitator spin one direction and then sit loosely in the other direction to prevent the clothes from becoming tangled up.

Robert :

Check the agitator and make sure it is firmly mounted in the tub and then turn the top of the agitator both direction. Let me know if it seems secure and how it turns.

Robert :

The other thing to check is the bottom of the unit where the pulleys are. Make sure the pulleys are on tight and they are not damaged in any way. You can do this by pulling the unit away from the wall and leaning it backwards to view the underside.

Customer:

ok, my husband is working in the crawl space under the house. can i do this and get back to you? not sure how this site works.........it's my first time.

Robert :

Sure. I will tell you that this unit is notorious for both of those issues and the life span of the washer is about 10 years. Just get back with me when you can. I will be checking back.

Customer:

how do i get back with you

Robert :

Just come back to this question when you are ready.

Robert :

You can leave it open on your screen or you can access it via the email you registered with.

Customer:

ok............need about 30 minutes. thanks, Robert

Robert :

No problem.

Customer:

hi Robert..........the bottom of the agitator seems secure and does not turn at all by hand.

The top of the agitator also seems secure, but it does slide up and down a little. I can rotate it by hand only counter clockwise.

Checked the pulleys and found that they turn silently one way, but when I turn the belt the other way and make a back and forth motion, it makes the very sound that is the problem. Sooooo, it seems that the sound is coming from the large center pulley.

Customer:

or......it is in the tubs that turn from the pulleys.

Robert :

If the sound is from that area then it could be the thrust bearing on the top of the pulley OR the gearing inside the transmission.

Customer:

would either of these NOT make the sound on Delicate cycle????

Robert :

The gearing for the cycle is not different BUT the speed that the motor turns is. This could be why it doesn't make the noise on the low speed delicate cycle but it does on the regular cycle.

Robert :

It really sounds more like a thrust bearing than the transmission because of the speed and the water weight making a difference in the noise levels.

Customer:

can we replace this bearing ourselves? my husband is pretty handy and has worked on other washers. any tricks to be aware of as we take this apart? please advise.....

Robert :

It is not super hard but the installation of the bottom clip can be tricky. I usually have someone push down on the agitator when installing the last clip so that it is not so difficult.

Customer:

doesn't sound so bad..........guess we'll try that. Assuming we need to order a new thrust bearing. Is that correct..............

Robert :

12002213 is the part number you will need to order.

Robert :

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/M0610263-00001.png
Full Size Image

Robert :

It is number 17 in the picture

Robert :

It comes with the pulley, bearing, washers, cam and grease.

Customer:

by any chance, do you know an estimated price for this assembly

Robert :

30-40 dollars

Robert :

You can get it online at www.searspartsdirect.com

Customer:

ok.........that's good data. Can I contact you if we run into a bind on the installation? and if so, how do I do that. If this all works out, we will be happy to give you a bonus...........

Robert :

You can always access this question by using the link that will show up in your email. Sometimes it goes to the spam folder so be sure to check there. You can let me know if you have any problems that way.

Customer:

Ok..................we think we are satisfied, but the proof is in the "puddin". If this works............You deserve an Excellent rating. thanks for all the data, we'll be in touch............val

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert...........well, we just finished installing the new thrust bearing kit...........to no avail. The same noise is still happening. Let me say again, that the noise happens when the inner tub turns inside the outer tub on the Regular wash cycle. On the Delicate cycle, the inner tub does not turn at all because the agitation is less. When we installed the new bearing kit, we did notice that the shaft seems to be closer to one side of the opening on the bottom of the washer than the other sides. I think this may cause some RUBBING of the bearing piece where it seats inside. Anyway, not sure what is causing it, but it is still loud and clear........HELP!!!

Val

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert.........are you there? Sent you a note yesterday and have not had a reply.......Val

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Need to ask Robert or another expert to rethink the problem and perhaps find another remedy.