Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Water feed is good, but nothing to the door. Either that or

Customer Question

Water feed is good, but nothing to the door. Either that or puddle under tube sleeve at bottom of the door. Why won't the water come through? Previous owners put in a new filter, but faile to tell us of the problem. Whirlpool Model 9S5SHAXTO01 Serial # XXXXX
Thank you,
Jerome Potter
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you recheck the model number?its not comming up. check inside the refrigerator for a tag on either the side wall or the ceiling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, Sorry, my script was sor bad I could not make it out.

It is GS5SHAXTO01

Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Thats okay, the first thing you should do is pull the bottom grill in the front and there will be a tube that goes up the center of the hinge on the freezer door. The should be a disconnect where you can take the hoses apart, disconnect the hose and put it in a bucket, make sure the door shut and press the water. Does water, the hose into the bucket? Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, no water

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay great, at least we know it's not frozen in the door itself, which sometimes happens you can go ahead and put that back together. do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I do, it is in the garage.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay great, I will need you to get it and pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the cover over the compressor area in the back where the waterline connects from the house. There will be two sides to the valve. Follow the one quarter inch plastic line down from the ice maker which runs up the back of the refrigerator to the freezer section. Don't test that side of the valve test the other side. What you need to do is stick your probes in the connector. Have your multimeter on voltage and have someone press the water in the front. Do you get 120 Volts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds great BUT, the battery to tne volt meter is bad, and I am alone

SO, I will get the battery the wait for my wife or friend. My wife will not be home till 7pm from work. My buddy works from home, so I do not know if he will be available. As soon as I get it done, I will get back to you. Thanks Jerry

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, no problem. Jerry, I'll watch for your replies tonight, have a great day, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, put battery in meter it reads 1, won't turn off. I have the compressor cover removed. It looks like the solinoid terminals are towards the front of the frig.

I figured out how to dismount the bracket to get to the terminals. But I am unsure of my meter. No matter what setting I have it on, it reads 1 . It gets banged around a lot. When my wife comes home I will check the terminals and see what happens. If you do not hear from me again, tonight, I have stopped the project till Tuesday. LONG weekend.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , Is your meter digital ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is didital.

I leaned a pair of pliers on the water dispenser lever. Checked the solidoid. I could feel it running, but did not get a reading. Do not know if it is me or the meter. I will get another from my friend, and ask him to do the dirty work. :)

IF you don't hear from me tomorrow, I will back on Tuesday.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,Bryan, I changed the water filter, and got water. The tube going up throught the door hinge is split. So, tomorrow I will put the back, back together. But I will need to know, how to replace the hose in the door.ThanksJerry
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay this is a difficult job, first you need to take the dispenser apart so you can feed the new line down through the door. what I usually do is connect the old line with the new one with something like a dowel that fits real tight into the lines and wont come loose when pull the new line down through the door. the trick is to push it from the top and pull it through from the bottom. this can be a tight fit going through but its the best way I've found to do it. you cant really tape them together and pull it through it will come loose and get stuck. you need to feed this gently through . you will have to cut the top black part off the old one to put these together. make sure you leave enough hose to connect them together. go slow and feed it gently so it doesn't get caught up inside the door or the hinge at the bottom. thats how I do these. hope that helps, thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Stopped loading the truck for lunch and checked my mail. Would you have a part number or is this somehting I can get at the big box stores?

Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
If you have an appliance parts warehouse near by they may have it, the Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN , If you cant find one you can order it at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Line/2256096/1016540?modelNumber=GS5SHAXTL00 very best wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me how to get the dispenser cover off? OR does that consitiute another question.\

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the dispenser cover is snapped on, it has little tabs that snap over the dispenser outer lips. use a putty knife to work your way around starting at the bottom. just take you time so you don't crack it. heres a diagram of the dispenser assembly if that helps. once you get the cover off the rest you will see. hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Bryan,

I recieved the parts from online. Now for the dirty work.

You suggested a putty knife would pop off the front of the dispenser faciad. Mine has two screws under the little tray. Are there more than two? Here is a picture, the dark circles at the top are magnets on the fridge.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I see theres screws try removing them and then slide it up it may be hooked on the top,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is coming over in the morning to help.

Thanks again for the insight.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats good let me know if I can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My buddy could not make it yesterday, so my wife is helping today. We cannot get the panel off. So we startted feeding the tube down, but it =tops a few inches down. SO, if we need to pull the panel off, we have tried putty knifes to no avail. Any clues I attached a picture.for review.

Frustrated

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you have the new one connected to the old hose ? if so is it nice a tight so it wont come apart ? are you pulling at the hose from the bottom while your pushing from the top ? these are tough to do but the worst thing that could happen is they come apart inside the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess perseverance is the way to go.

We pull at the connection to see if it will come apart.

We have a dowel inside and tight plus a wrap of shipping tape.

How much pressure are you talking about on both ends?

Significant or a tad more the light?

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

well moving it up and down and wiggling it is the best way to pull it through. it sounds like its getting caught on something inside the door. is the tape catching ? can you tell ? sometimes this takes a bit of force. like I said this is not an easy thing to do. try spinning in a bit also

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK SUCCESS!! Just need an extra push with a stronger pull. Have feed through, Next, put back together.

By the way, this model had no nozzle, just a hose around a bracket.

Could have just used plain tubing, but how the hell would you know that?

No sweat, thank you very, very much.

Enjoy the rest of y ou weekend.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats great! good job, glad to hear that, have a great weekend and thanks, Bryan