SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

My wolf oven is off and the fan noise is still on. It has

My wolf oven is off and the fan noise is still on. It has been off for several hours. The fans inside are not turning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 1 year ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. The fan that you hear are the cooling fans located in the back of the unit (way back). Do you feel any air moving from the bottom of the unit?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you hear the noise and there is no air flow then one of the cooling fans has stalled. The unit should take about 45min - 1hr to cool down normally after turning off. Also do you have the model number?

Customer:

There is air flow below. The oven has been off for approx. 8 hours.

Customer:

It is night time and I'm wondering if this is safe and whether I can deal with it in the morning.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Does the oven feel warm inside at all?

Customer:

no

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Then you have a failure of the sensing devise that runs the cooling fan. Depending on the model wolf uses two different methods for sensing. Do you have the model number?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

It is safe, the fan can run for days with no problem.

If you have a safety concern you can turn off the breaker.

Customer:

ok, thank you.

model # XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

can i use the oven?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX fuel ranges use the relay board to sense the temp and send power to the fans, you have a stuck relay on that board. If you turn off the power and close the door hard a few times you can unstick the relay sometimes. If that doesn't work then you will need the relay board. So long as that is the only stuck relay it will not affect the cooking performance of the machine.

Customer:

how do i turn off the power?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you let the fan run for to long (days) it will eventually fail. This would then allow the oven to over-heat, trip another sensor and shut the whole unit down.

For the power you will need to turn off at the breaker box. It would be a larger or double breaker.

Customer:

it didn't work

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

What part?

Customer:

I turned off the breaker, closed the dorr hard three times, turned the breaker back on and now the fan is back on again.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Then the relay is permantly stuck (happens sometimes). You will need to replace the relay board. How old is the unit?

Customer:

Approx 6 years old

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Shoot, the boards have a 5 year warranty. Just as a last check if you try and turn the oven on again what temp is displayed in the knob?

Customer:

350

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hate to say it but you will need that board.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Customer:

350

Customer:

ok, so I guess I just call the applicance store to get it? Also, maybe it's only been 5 years; without a bill of sale, could I find out from Wolf?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I would call wolf and see if the dealer registered the unit. They also may cover it for you if its 5 and some months. They can also tell you the closest authorized appliance shop in you area. Those are the only places that carry wolf parts.

Customer:

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Customer:

ok, thank you very much for your help. last thing, can I use the oven tomorrow?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Not a problem. It should heat fine.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good night.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman