Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag Neptune TL washer (Model FAV9800AWQ) that is

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune TL washer (Model FAV9800AWQ) that is stalling in the cycle-failing to drain. Also failing to produce an error code. It is stuck w/ a low water level. I have gotten into the service mode and tested the pump and it is functioning properly. I have tested the lid lock and found the left hand lid lock doesn't always function properly in the test mode function. Then if I set the washer to quick wash it will get approx 5 minutes into the load and stall with water still in the tub. It will makes efforts to continue the load-but just hangs. It will continue to cycle the engine without draining water and hanging at approximately 25 minutes left. Again-no error code. Could the left hand lid lock (if malfunctioning) prevent the washer from completing a cycle and not produce a code? I am concerned that my last step left here is to replace the computer board...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tech Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi it could very well be the lid lock.
Its the cheapest thing to replace first.
The reason is it is likely intermittent and causes the unit to operate this way, But there could be other problems I would try this first.
You can get a new lid lock mechanism from Cashwell Appliance:(NNN) NNN-NNNN They are reliable and will ship that part to you the same day:-)
I can help you do this if you need, but because this question may go on for a bit if you rate my service as ok or better The system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and this costs you nothing more.
In addition, your question will not time out (as they sometimes will).
So we can remain in contact until this issue is fully resolved.
Thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have ordered the part already-but unclear how a the lid lock could be stopping it from finishing the cycle or draining properly?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Michael is correct in his diagnoses, the reason which I gather you really don't understand is if the lid locks (or even just one) fail or work intermittently the washer will not spin. (its a safety ) on some machines they don't have the lock but they have a lid switch which when you lift the lid stops the spin. same basically here. if the lock is not working it wont spin. this is so someone cant get their hand caught when its spinning (especially children) hope this helps explain why it doesn't spin with a bad switch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan, thank you for your response and for drilling down on the lid lock malfunction & tying to the spin function. It was most perplexing that we weren't getting unbalanced load error or drain failure error. I am hopeful this lid lock resolves the issue, as it is getting rather tiresome draining a washer full of water while trouble shooting. You were more detailed than Michael in your explanation which was helpful.

Now, I don't see the smiley face option under your answer-just under Michael's. Where do I rate you for the payment?

Thanks!

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your very welcome . I just wanted to explain how this could affect the spin. have a great day Smile. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.