Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my Ge Profile Refrigerator Model #PF 22 SISBSS Ser @ ZL

my Ge Profile Refrigerator Model #PF 22 SISBSS Ser @ ZL 041225 is not cooling. On Monday night I did the Off/Reset procedure as per the owners Manual to no effect by Tuesday night, when I repeated it. Today the fridge is 66F the freezer is 11F. Any suggestions?

Sandie

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening. Can you open the freezer and look on the back wall inside and tell me if theres any frost on it ? look real good behind your food.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

Okay. You have a very common issue for G.E. refrigerators. your automatic defrost system is not working. when this happens it interrupts the airflow through the freezer and into the refrigerator section. all the cold comes from the freezer. Most likely the defrost heater has failed. can you look inside the refrigerator section on the tag and recheck your model number ? it doesn't seem to come up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

PFS 22SISBSS Sorry, can we do anything to fix this ourself? Can a technician? Would it be costly?

give me a minute to look it up. you can fix this yourself with my help. i will be right back. Smile
I may have spoke to soon on this. this is a bottom freezer so its a little tougher to work on but if you have tools and are pretty handy you can still do this yourself. on the particular model its not usually the heater its the bi metal thermostat that fails. (defrost thermostat) you would need to take the back panel inside the freezer out to get to this, do you think you can ?
are you still there ? I can send you diagrams if you wish and a parts link. let me know if you wish to move forward on this. if you would rather have a tech repair it what you can do to make this run correctly until someone can service it is defrost it completely and it will run correctly for about 2-3 weeks before its frosts up again. let me know if you wish to continue. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We don't think we can reach it to repair , we are elderly. How can we defrost it? Unplug?