Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

RA - ml

Refrigerator lights did shut off. We were gone for the weekend and when we got home found the light fixture had melted off it's mounts. Food was spoiled. I removed this fixture.
Model#LFD22860ST
Ser.#611MRMD10291
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Was the door left open a bit or did the lights stay on with the door shut ? Is this still running ? what do you need to know? where to get the parts ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The doors were closed all the way. But I found a small part which looks like a white plastic hook or probe. It has a screw through a black plastic hinge like part and shows break.

I removed the light fixture. Fridge is working, just no lights,

Parts would be good. But this hook thing? I donot know where it came from.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
was it this you found ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope It has a code on it: >POM< #4.

It's 2 1/2 inches long. More like a "V" shape hook or tab at one end.

The other end had the screw and the broken black plastic mounting peice which is broken off from something.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay , did you find the part outside the refrigerator or inside ? can you send me a picture of it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Part was in side, on top left shelf. I'll send a picture.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thanks. I will try to see what part it is when I see the picture, my guess is its the light actuator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I sent pictures attached to your last email to my response.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I didnt get it. What I'm going to do is give you the link to all the parts and digrams. see if you can find the part. heres the link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/LG-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-LFD22860ST/3204/0161000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=LFD22860ST let me know. thanks . Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan, I can see the part. There in suppose to be one on top of each door frame. It's part of the door frame assbly. Both of them are broken. And yes I see how this tap inserts into fringe compartment and are suppose to pivet and shut off the light. The tap rides over the white plastic bumpers to actuate.

Now what can I do?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Seems like a poor design. Are there nay recall notices or tech notes from LG on this Fridge and this problem?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
not that i can find. I still haven't received the picture of the part you found broken. are you using the paper clip to attach the picture ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help but I have contacted the store I bought from and they are going to fix it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Awesome ! I wish I could have done more for you but we were having trouble finding the part that broke on you and I never received the picture, have a great day, Very best wishes and thanks! Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.