Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Whirlpool side by side refrigerator is making an intermittent

My Whirlpool side by side refrigerator is making an intermittent buzzing sound which buzzes for about 8-10 seconds. The freezer and refrigerator seem to be cooling ok, but not sure if the compressor is coming on or not. We've cleaned the dust away from the coils on the front and from the back of the refrigerator. What could be the problem?
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is the noise comming from the compressor itself ? can you tell ? do you have the model number so I can take a look at this ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model ED5GTNXMQ00 - Manufacturer date 1/04 Yes, the noise seems to be coming from the compressor (dome) area - however, the compressor is only warm to the touch - not hot, as described in some blogs I've read this morning......

okay this mean the start relay is failing, you may not notice yet but this is going to start getting warm in a hurry. you need to replace the start relay. now on this model they have used many different relays so they sell this is a kit. it includes all the relays they used on these. this is the kit. if you have a warehouse near you go and pick up the kit. its Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN if you don't have an appliance parts store nearby you can order this on line @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/8201786/1177466?modelNumber=ED5GTNXMQ00 you should think about putting your food in another refrigerator until the part arrives because this is going to start warming up soon.