SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

Maytag Model msd2354arw 15 years old approx. Refrig temp. =65

Customer Question

Maytag Model msd2354arw 15 years old approx. Refrig temp. =65 degrees, freezer temp. =33 degrees, back of freezer cabinet frosted up, no air movement from freezer to refrigerator.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. You have a failed defrost heater for sure. You can temporarily fix the problem by turning the machine off removing the back of the freezer and melting all the ice manually. That would make the machine run for the next few days. Then you can purchase a heater online or at a local shop and replace the heater which is right under the tubes that have all the frost on them. I'll look up the heater part number and post a link right now. Sam

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

HERE is the link for the heater.

Customer:

is all this built up ice restricting the air flow over to the refrigerator? also, do you mean removing the back of the freezer cabinet(inside) or the rear of the refrigerator? thanks

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The ice is blocking the cold from getting to the rest of the machine. You would need to remove the inside back panel of the machine to get to the ice.

Customer:

OK thanks.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

No problem. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Thanks, Sam

Customer:

Thanks I will

Customer:

Sam,

I have not had time to replace the defrost coil yet and the temp. repair has the machine working well. I will respond to rate the service once the repairs are completed. I will not forget because I know it is important to you. Tom

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, coil was replaced, took about 15 mins. Old coil was cracked and obviously defective.

Tom

Thanks for not forgetting about me Tom. Glad to hear all went well. Have a great week! Thanks, Sam