Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Gibson Spacemaster (EL27M6WAFA XE34702429) dryer squeaks

My Gibson Spacemaster (EL27M6WAFA XE34702429) dryer squeaks once each iteration. High-pitched, loud, drives me bananas - my wife for some strange reason appears immune to it (ear-plugs?). It came with the house we bought last year so not sure of age - younger than me but certainly older than our kids. I cannot find a manual available online so am about to open it up and poke around. I am not particularly good at working with appliances but always willing to poke around and make things worse - any suggestions on what i should look for or even where to start (or link to a manual) would be very much appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

the issue is common on these. its the rear drum bearing making the noise.here a link to the part and a video on how to replace it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drum-Bearing/5303281153/1851?modelNumber=EL27M6WAFA the video makes it a lot easier. hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I can order the part and when it gets here try installing it - the video is helpful, even if with a single dryer machine. Before I do that could you tell me why you are so sure? Not questioning your experience - you are the expert :-) - but is that the only cause of squeaking in these machines? Online searches seemed to identify a range of possible causes but those could be for other models. If there is anything else i should check before i order the part, I would like to do that.

Regards,

Gary

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
these have grease in them and when the grease drys out they wear and start hitting the metal part of the bearing assembly. you can try taking this apart and greasing it good with white lithium grease and if it hasn't worn to much may work. this is an extremely common problem with these machines.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

Sounds good. I have ordered the replacement part, it should get here later this week & I will try installing it then. If I have any questions I will touch base with you and, once it is in place and hopefully working, can close this conversation.

Thanks for your help and i am looking forward to a squeak-free machine by this weekend :-).

Regards,

Gary

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good Gary, I'll be here if you need me. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.