Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Amana AFI2538aew Refridgerator control panel lights flashing

Amana AFI2538aew Refridgerator control panel lights flashing and noise by the ice maker hole.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Did you replace the main control board or the dispenser control ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the main control board behind the touch pad.

okay this one ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, Just so that you know the lights stop flashing and the noise stops when I remove the three wire connector from J3. From what I have been able to learn on my own that connector goes to the heater on the strip on the left door that sits between the doors when they are closed. I have checked for broken wires where that piece hindges and found them to be in good conditions. I have also checked the resistance of the heater (aprox. 15 ohms).

okay well unfortunately its going to be the main control board if you checked the other causes.you will need to replace it. part # XXXXX on this diagram.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there anything specific that I should check to ensure that nothing else caused this board to fail? I just pulled the board and don't see any obvious signs of overheating or external physical damage.

its not really something you can see on the board. these boards are like computers and they can get scrambled like a computer. there are computer chips that run the different functions in these refrigerators. . you replaced the dispenser board and checked the wiring and the heater so the only other thing that can cause your issue it the control board. any kind of power spike or surge can kill these boards. I'm not sure if thats your cause but thats the most common cause. hope this helps. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to follow up, I removed the main board and noticed 2 35v 680 mf capacitors had popped. I was able to replace them for aproximately 10.00 and that fixed the problem. Your help was invaluable in correcting this problem.

Wow thats great ! I'll keep that in mind for other customers, thanks so much, Bryan