Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a whirlpool refrigerator Model # XXXXX and have

I have a whirlpool refrigerator Model # XXXXX and have had the water filter system connected to my home water filtration system. I was told by the technician who performed this task that I need a bypass filter. I've called the parts department and was told that there is not part like that for my model. Is there any other part that I can use to because I do not need my water to go through the regular filter?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon. the parts department is correct there is no bypass for your unit. what you will need to do is bypass the entire filter assembly. you have to remove the two lines and connect the two lines together. down where you filter is take the screws out holding the filter housing and work it out through the front. (remove the grill in the bottom front) you can see the gray rings in the picture, push them in and pull the hoses out(shut the water off while doing this) the two hoses are different size. so you need a reducer. take you filter housing to lowes and have them get you a quick connect coupler 5/16 to 1/4 inch connect the two line together and your done. thats the only way to bypass the filter in this. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan