Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Sharp Convection Microwave Model #1870 and the horizontal

I have a Sharp Convection Microwave Model #1870 and the horizontal top and bottom display segments no longer illuminate. Is this a problem that is worth fixing or should I just buy a new microwave? (It won't be made by Sharp!).
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, Your model number is XXXXX but if your saying the digital readout (Clock) is no longer illuminating its the
smart board thats failed. in most cases its not worth replacing because of the cost. these can run anywhere from $125.00 to $200.00 and sometimes higher. its not worth repairing these nowadays because its cheaper to replace. hope this helps. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Only the top and bottom horizontal segments in each of the 8 segment displays are failing (they are much dimmer than the other 6 segments in all of the 8 segment displays.

While the readout is still illuminating it seems to be getting dimmer.

The correct model number is XXXXX if that helps.

Is it still your opinion that a failing smart board is the problem?

Yes my diagnoses was exactly correct not that you told me that. the control for this one is $308.50 ! OMG thats more than a new microwave. the digital readout is all one piece incorporated into the board. I did find it for $199.00 but even thats high. heres that link in case you want to replace it. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan