Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I am re-doing my kitchen cabinets and will be installing a

I am re-doing my kitchen cabinets and will be installing a dishwasher. There has not been one before. The cabinets are installed and the countertop will be installed in one week. I know that the dishwasher needs to be wired onto a new dedicated electric thingy and plumbed by a professional. My question is this...does the wiring need to be done before the countertops are installed or can it be done after that?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon. that all depends on the way its being wired . do you have a basement under the kitchen ? is the wiring running through the basement and through the floor (which most are) in most cases the counter top will not impeed the wiring install . it wont be running through the counter so unless theres some special circumstance the counter top would not have any impact other than having to wire it and not hit their head !LOL , Its fine to have the counters installed. hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually, there is no basement or crawl space. The kitchen is on a slab. The wiring will be run thru the wall behind the counters. Does that affect your answer?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay, well yes and no. Is it being run through the attic space and then down? are they panning on putting in a junction box ? depends on how the line is being run to be honest. A dedicated line would run all the way from the breaker box with its own breaker. if its necessary to run the length of a wall you may want to have the electrician there before even the cabinets go in. (so if he need to make holes in the sheet rock they can be covered easily. ) have you spoken to the electrician yet on where he's running the line ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is what i was afraid of when i asked the question.. My house is so screwy that i can't even describe it properly. There is a second floor and no attic. (This house was built in '75 by two women and is very rustic and CRAZY, lol).I dont know how the electrician plans to do it. He came one day and looked it over really good and will do the work another day. He has cancelled on 3 dates since,and i am a little panicked about the timing of the countertops and wiring. I'm sorry for this convoluted question! The countertops are scheduled for installation on 9/13 and thats why i am asking.aaarrrrgggghhhh!

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Oh boy I understand. he seems to think that theres no issue if he came and looked at it (even though he seems a little shady) In any case a wire can be run with the counter tops in no matter what but the thing you have to think about is how much more labor he may charge if he's there longer than originally thought . thats what I would be worried about. If he gave you a written estimate then your all set but I would watch out for overruns if not. but as far as running it this can be done with the tops in. I wish I could ease your mind more, we have run many a line with the counters in. theres not always a choice when it comes to that. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.