Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My dishwasher will not start the wash cycle. The light is

My dishwasher will not start the wash cycle. The light is on, it drained the tub, but it has not filled and started the cycle.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you hear anything running at all ? like a pump that just keeps going when the door is shut ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I could hear the pump empting the water before it started the cycle. I can get that to repeat, but I hear nothing after it draining the tub.

okay try this before anything else. pour about 1 and 1/2 gallons of (hot) water into the machine and close the door and try restarting it. can you do that ? if it starts let it run through. don't open it. see if it goes all the way to the end of the cycle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I poured in 11/2 gallons of hot water and it tried to drain. It waited for a couple of minutes and drained. It has now started the wash cycle. Why did it do that? Has it sat too long? Do you have a good guess or some advice?

yes it may have sat to long. you have to wait and see if it finishes the wash cycle now. the drain float was stuck , hopefully it runs the full cycle and will be fine. let me know.