Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

I just purchased a used range, it is a smooth top, super capacity

Customer Question

I just purchased a used range, it is a smooth top, super capacity plus. I am trying to self clean the oven and can not get it to start.
On the left: Bake - Broil
Clean- Control Lock
On the right: Set - timer
clock

I have pushed clean button, then it says door, push control lock and it just cancels it all out. There is no lever on door to lock it.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Why are you pushing the control lock? This locks the control. Press clean, then you need to set the time, then you press start. The door lock should latch on it's own. It's most likely motorized.. Please reply with your model number. This is found above the leveling feet in the front of the frame of the stove.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no start button to push, model # XXXXX

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, try this:

close the door. Press clean, then use the up and down pads to select the time. The cycle should start. If not, and it continues to say door, then cancels, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THE DOOR KEEPS FLASHING AND NOTHING HAS STARTED

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'd like you to keep the door open, find the door switch and push in the plunger hard with your hand. Then with it held in hard, try to repeat this procedure. I'm suspecting the door switch is bad. I've seen this before actually in the field.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did not work???

What is the control lock button for?

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

To lock out the control panel from unwanted button pushes ie... small children and elderly...

Does the light go on and off by pushing this switch, or is the light not working at all inside the unit? The problem is that the door is not being seen as closed by the control board. We need to discern whether it's a control board failure or a switch failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on the inside of the oven there is instructions. It says to push clean and lock door. There is nothing to push to lock door? There isn"t a lever to slide over to lock it either?

Everything else is working.

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
I understand this already. This one has an automatic lock, not a lever. I previously asked whether the light was working INSIDE the oven. If so, does pushing the switch in turn the light off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The oven light works and when I push in the close thing the light does go out.

Don"t mean to fustrate you Sorry

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

You're not frustrating me at all Susan :)

I need to look up some technical documentation quickly. Be back with you shortly ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure take your time. I appreciate your help.
I am getting ready to retire for the evening, (can you tell I am old) lol and I am polish!! lol So if you want to wait until tomorrow to find the answer that would be fine.

Thank You so much for your time.

Good Night

Susan

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
I think the problem is in the door microswitch. Even though it turns the light off, this switch is a single pole double throw switch. The light circuit makes and breaks, but it probably is not making the other part of the circuit. This switch is part number 74001802 and is located behind the lower rear panel on the back of the stove (Left side as your facing the rear of the unit). There are usually two black and one violet wire to it. DO NOT mix these wires up. Rarely is the control board bad for this situation. It just doesn't see the door closed. The switch takes a lot of abuse over time, and a switch failure is common on any appliance. I've seen this happen in the field several times on this range. If the door is not seen as closed, it will NOT allow a clean to occur for safety reasons.
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

This is what the part looks like

Micro Switch 74001802        Main Product View

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going to have my neighbor take a look at it for me. Will let you know how it turns out.

He said he would look at it later today. He is alot mor handy than my husband! LOL

Thank You

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Have him pull the plug, remove rear panel. This switch usually has two blacks and a violet wire. Open and close door to verify open and closed conditions. Under load, these switches can be intermittent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Justin I deleted your last answer before I could show my husband your
answer. Would you please resend it to me.
Thank You

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Here ya go :)

Thanks for your question. Please rate me in the top three categories(OK, Good, EXCELLENT.) Rating me DOES NOT close the question. Come back as often as you like at no extra fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem fixed! Thank You

Susan