Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool washer model# XXXXX The past week

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool washer model# XXXXX
The past week or so it would fill up during rinse cycle but just keep draining not holding any water. We would have to manually switch to the extra rinse cylcle to get it to work.
Today, when we put in a load and started it up, the tub filled up but stopped there.
When I switch from cycle to cycle, it just clicks and that's it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is this draining the water with the pump running or is the water filling up and going out without any motor running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

motor not running

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay but when it did is that what happened? I believe you have a lid switch problem right now and thats why its not running at this point. I just wanted to know when it was filling and draining was the motor actually running and pumping the water out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

btw: I am having a very difficult time navigating this website!

the water drained from the the tub as quickly as it filled. There was no motor or pump running at the time this was happening.

Now it is doing nothing.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay good we are getting somewhere, . first is the drain hose lower than the top of the machine ? where it goes into the drain in the house? also is the drain hose taped off so theres no air gap between the drain hose and the pipe or is it really tight in the pipe? I want to get to one problem at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the drain hose is higher than the tub. it is not pinch off anywhere that i can see

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
is it tight in the pipe ? what I mean is there space between the drain hose and the pipe its in ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is temporarily hooked up to a garden house while I install my tile in the wash room

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the drain is hooked up to a garden hose ? thats why the water was draining , its called a siphon affect, the smaller hose acts like a siphon and drains the water as it fills, thats one problem the other is the lid switch, I believe, either that or the timer has failed, heres a link to a video that shows you how to test the lid switch. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Switch/279347/3406?modelNumber=LA6800XTW0 try testing that. let me know .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any suggestions as to temporarily hooking up the drain, for a few more weeks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well get a bigger hose from like lowes that you can put it loosely in and make sure where it goes into the new hose is higher than the back , that should do it.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the water would drain as quickly as it filled the tub. We could here no
pump or motor running at that time.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay try the hose like i said and see if that works. I'll be on tomorrow most of the day. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not tried the bigger hose yet. I'll do that this weekend and let you know.

thx.,

Brian

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay great ! I will be around on and off all weekend and will watch for a reply from you. thanks , Bryan