Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Tried to use self cleaning oven. Oven never heated up and

Tried to use self cleaning oven. Oven never heated up and now I can not unlock oven door.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model # XXXXX chance ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't. It was purchased Mar '93. It is an electric/convection oven with gas burners. It is a slide in model.

I'm sure the self cleaning mode did not work, since the oven door never warmed up.

okay thats a problem because we cant pull up diagrams without a model number. is there a panel under the door that you can open and see if theres a model number behind it ? some have a removable panel that snaps in.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

SEG196W

okay got it. what has happened is the solenoid engaged the self clean lock but the micro switch on the lock assembly is bad. the real problem is getting this open. try putting this back in self clean for three minutes and then cancel. see if the door unlocks. if not you need to use a coat hanger with a hook on the end and pull the lock latch over to try to get the door open. pull the hook to the left if you can grab it. heres the diagram of the lock/latch assembly. if you can get it open you need to replace the latch assembly. this can be difficult. if you cant get the door open you cant change the latch assembly unfortunately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Will I need someone to come and find the cause of the oven not self cleaning?

yes the cause is the latch assembly. theres a bad switch in it. i wouldn't use self clean again until you get it fixed though. A heads up though so you don't get ripped off the latch assembly is only $45.00 so you know when they come to work on this. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan