Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE model GSS25LGMFWW. On the ice/water dispenser,

I have a GE model GSS25LGMFWW. On the ice/water dispenser, the LED lights will go out, like something is shorting out or drawing too much current, so removed the courtesy light bulb and everything seemed to be fine. It started doing it again. I could dispense water no problem, but when I choose ice it would fill up the chute, but the trap door wouldn't open. I just tried putting the light bulb back in and now the LEDs have refused to come back on.

I tried to reset the refrigerator by unplugging the power for 30 seconds or so, but it did no good.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

the first thing you should check is the connector at the top of the freezer door hinge.make sure this isn't loose or corroded. you will need to remove the plastic cap over the hinge, can you check that before we go on ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's at the bottom and definitely corroded. I found one of the 3 wires is actually loose because of the corrosion. Recommendations?

oh sorry some are at the bottom.the best thing to do is go to lowe's or any hardware store and buy a spray can of HQ contact cleaner. unplug this and spray the corroded connectors real good to clean them. the wire plugs are real short so cutting them back and reconnecting is usually not an option. try the contact cleaner and plug the connector back together tight and see how it works then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it weren't for the fact that one of the wires is no longer in the pin to make contact it might work. The wire came out of the connector without the pin attached.

I can probably cut off the bad part and put on a new ping. I think I have a crimper somewhere, but I need a pin that fits that connector, assuming that the pins are replaceable.

yeah the pins are a tough thing to get. they don't sell them on appliance parts site that I know of. you can try radio shack though they may have something. if not you may need to bypass the plug if you can. I don't know why they don't make these wires longer. anyway thats all I can think of.