Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello, Top load LG washer, model WT5001CW, 2 years old. Drain

Top load LG washer, model WT5001CW, 2 years old.
Drain problem. Getting DE error code. Drain hose is OK (not kinked). As soon as I touch the short hose from the washer to the drain pump with my hand and move it about 1/2 inch the pump starts pumping the water. If I let it go the pump stops. How do I remove this pump to see if anything is blocking inside?
Thank you.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

the drain pump is located in the bottom of the machine its # XXXXX on this diagram.remove the back panel (F070) to gain access to the pump.can you hear the pump running before you move the hose or does it start running when you move the hose? this may be a loose wire on the pump.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. When I touch the hose the pump engages and starts running. There is even a short electrical spark when it engages on the back of the pump.

okay sounds like the pump has a loose or burnt wire going to it. there are only two wires so I would open the back panel and check the wiring. you may need to replace one of the connectors at the pump.(the one on the wire) take the wires off and check them good. it sounds like a simple fix.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I need to remove the pump before removing those connectors?

you should be able to reach the wires without removing it.what you should do is take the back panel off and start the machine wiggle the hose and see if you can see the spark. this will confirm a bad connection before you remove any wires.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Do I need to purchase that connector? What is that part number? Anything I should do to prevent this to happen in the future?

looking at the pump it looks like the connectors are more of a plug is the right on yours ? does the pump look like this.? did you see where the spark was comming from ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it looks the same. There is a plastic shield covering the pump. When I was touching the pump the shield was on and I could see the sparks through the shield. Then I stopped the washer and removed the shield and could see two wires on the back but I did not restarted the washer for safety reasons.

okay. is the washer full of water ? can you remove the pump ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The washer is empty. I was trying to remove the pump last night but didn't know how to do it. If you can provide detailed description how to remove it I would greatly appreciate. I will do it tonight when I get home.

Thank you.

there should be two 5/16 bolts going through the rubber feet and into the bottom of the machine, remove those and of course the two hoses. as far as the plug goes there is a small tab on the connector you depress to release the plug. thats about it. hopefully you just find a loose connection and you can fix that right away. hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Thank you again for your valuable advise. As you suspected one of the electrical connectors was loose and was about to break. It looks like a design flow. These electrical wires a little bit short and when the pump vibrates there is not enouph room for attached wires to play. I cut the female disconnect off, added about 2" extension wire and plug it back. Tested on the light laundry load and it works. Thank you.

Just want to add one more advice if somebody will read our post. The flexible houses that connected to the pump were actualy glued to the pump inlet and outlet. I could not remove them until I realize that. Had to use flat screwdriver to break the glue.There is nothing in the manual saying about this. Go figure out.

Thank you.

BG

thats great to hear !

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
. good job ! thanks and have a great weekend, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.