Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My refrigerator/freezer is not getting cold and the motor is

Customer Question

My refrigerator/freezer is not getting cold and the motor is working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get me the full model number so I can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PFS22S1S8SS

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay perfect. Now tell me are there no fans running ? in the freezer ? is this getting completely warm both in the freezer and refrigerator? sorry I see you say the motor is working I'm asuming that you mean the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

both fans are working

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Alright, can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and take the access panel off in the back to feel the compressor itself and tell me whether its hot.warm, or cold ? is it vibrating ? (running).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in my late 70's and there is no one here to help at the moment. I will try.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay don't hurt yourself, its important that we know if the compressor is starting. is the freezer warm also ? is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ? I know the is a French door refrigerator but see if you can see any frost in the freezer also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the unit out but I don't think I can get the back panel off, but I can hear compressor working. There was a lot of dust and dog hair on the floor and on one of the vents. I think this is first time it has been out since it was installed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, what I really need to know is if the whole refrigerator is getting warm or is it just not as cold as usual ? do you know the temps in both the freezer and refrigerator ? the dust and dog hair could be the issue if its really clogged.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Both are not as cold, the refrigerator was 70 last night and the freezer was about 17. The icemaker is still making ice but they are nearly clear. I can't get the doors open with it out. I think I am going to need a service call don't you think?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

my opinion is its either a defrost issue(thats why I needed to know about the frost) or the main control board has failed. the control board is a big issue on these. G.E. has had to redesign these boards because of failure. If you feel your in over your head then yes I would call for service before it gets any worst. heres the board I was talking about.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this would need to be checked. well wishes and thanks, Bryan