Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE washer Model # XXXXX It got stuck in a

I have a GE washer Model # XXXXX It got stuck in a cycle and we had to manually drain it. Now the machine is stuck with the door locked. We have unplugged and waited over 5 minutes and plugged back in and the same thing is happening. What can we do to reset the machine so the door will open and we can continue to wash clothes?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

how did you get the water out ? did you take the pump trap out and clean it ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just opened the door and the water gushed out. We did clean the pump trap which was full of gunk. My wife put machine on drain and spin and that's when it locked.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh okay. so now its locked and wont continue to finish the cycle ? is it full of water again ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. When plugged in you can hear the pump going, but there is no motion and no water. We are afraid to leave it going for fear of burning it out.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. what you can do is remove the bottom panel under the door and reach up to release the door with the emergency release. its a ring at the bottom of the door latch. you can see it on the left side of the picture but it faces down when its in the machine. just pull it down to release the door. i would unplug the machine while you do this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will this allow the machine to reset when we plug it back in?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it should, if not you may have a bad control. when you get this open check the door switch where the door closes. there is a switch peg that sticks out on the top once the doors open. see if that peg is still there and not broken off. you can see it in the picture on the right side sticking up, this will be sticking through the body at the top of where the door closes. its part of the switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One more thing, how do I get that bottom panel out and you referred to a picture when speaking about that panel, but there was none included like you did with the switch.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
there are screws # XXXXX on this diagram you need to remove, they are way down at the bottom of the panel.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.