Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

I have a Kenmore Elite top load clothes washer. Model# XXXXX

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite top load clothes washer. Model# XXXXX 72103, Ser# XXXXX
When tunred on, the motor keeps spinning faster and faster. Is this the speed contol switch? If so, where is it located? What is the part number?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Would you mind explaining in as much detail as possible what you mean by the "Motor keeps spinning faster and faster". Is it starting from low and seem like it is ramping up uncontrollably? Or is it going off and on, off and on, etc... Try to give me as much information as you can in your description. Thanks :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It starting from low and seem like it is ramping up uncontrollably.

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
So, there is a delay then from when the motor starts until it hits its highest speed? Is this the reason you replaced the transmission? Or was that for another issue? Was this happening prior to the transmission replacement. Also, is it happening both in wash and spin, or only wash, or only spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reason the transmoission was replaced was because the washer was originally making very loud noises. When checking out the washer, I found grease all over the transmission and insde the washer cabinet, so I quickly assumed that I had transmission issues. Now when we turn on the washer in spin cycle only, the washer starts to spin faster and faster. I believe another component caused the transmission failure.

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, when you replaced the transmission, if there was oil as you suggest, then it would have been mandatory to replace the clutch with it. The clutch band is probably damaged now due to oil absorbing into the pads. You can purchase a new clutch assembly. You will have to take the transmission back out to do this, but this is no big deal. Part 5 on this diagram is the clutch assembly. I seriously doubt you have a speed switch issue. In 15 years, I've only seen one or two speed switch failures. The part number for the clutch is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand runs around $40.00. With any oil leak from a direct drive transmission, replacement of this part is a necessity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes there was grease all over. Can the clutch assebly be cleaned with a degreaser?

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
No, but you can order the lining only if you prefer. Once oil hits the clutch lining pads, they're destroyed. I opt to always replace the entire assembly because it comes with new springs, lining band, and housing. It is the preferred method rather than only replacing the band.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will replace the clutch assembly as suggusted. Could any other component cause the run away spin speed? I will order the clutch today and change it as soon as I get, most likely with a week. If this does not take care of the washer issue, Would I need to pay another $30.00?

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
No, you can always come back to this thread free of charge Albert. I can't think of anything else that would cause spin speed issues. All the switch does is create a circuit either to the low, mid, or high winding. If it is bad, the result is either no speed at all, or the contacts are closing between two windings, then the motor would trip out on overload. Again, if there was oil everywhere, replacement of that part is mandatory!! The motor winding is what controls speed. If that were bad, your motor wouldn't work at all.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Justin, I will change the clutch. Thanks for your help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Justin, are you available? Is there another appliance expert available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  stephenmichaelz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im Steve,Thank you for choosing JA. do you have more questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve, Can you veiw my previous emails? If you can, I ordered and changed the clutch. The washing machine still wants to spin out of control. The machine is not banging around, it just keeps spining faster and faster.I do not know what else it may be.

the motor only has 2 speeds available it does spin up to about 400 rpms at full speed.it could be the basket drive is sticking in the beginning. there is a special tool required to remove the basket drive. but if you were to remove the motor from the transmission and hold it down somehow then bypass the lid switch you can watch it spin it should say the rpms on the tag on the motor. if it is off the unit and it is speeding up uncontrollably then you will have to test the power going to the unit but ive been fixing these for 15 years and never saw that happen. im not saying its not possible just very original also know that when there is water in the basket it will not reach full speed until its empty
for the fist time ever i saw a basket drive seize in the unit and stop it from spinning altogether so anything is possible in the repair world but i have seen the clutch and transmission like yhour describing and Justin was right on with his advice.it slings a line of muck all over the inside of the cabinet too. but if its speeding up slowly when its empty ill bet its that basket drive and if you want to see if it is watch the clutch assy spin when you start it and if the cluch spins at full speed but the basket is slow starting(WHILE ITS EMPTY)
its restricted
do you need instruction bypassing the lid switch or anything else?
it may seem the basket is spinning out of control because its really fast,you will get wind off of it if you watch it with the lid open. the balance ring at the top of the basket will make it shake at full speed when it spins empty (the water in the balance ring has nothing to offset when the baskets empty) but realize those clothes and the water are heavy when wet so it has to spin really fast to remove the water from them.the clothes will end up "plastered" to the basket flat if the spin cycle is working properly and with the cabinet off you can see the tub assembly really shake alot but its supposed to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeas, how do you by pass the lid switch

im sorry there was a problem with the site you canconnect the oter 2 wires on the pigtail that was on the top of the cabinet that led to the lid switch dont connect the middle one thats a ground.make sure the power is off when you do it
use a #14 wire or thicker so it doesnt overheat
sorry i misspelled outer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve, I think it would be best to call a repair person and have them check out my washer. Thank you and good night.

im sorry.to be honest i think you have fixed it but your skeptical.do you know anyone with a similar washer you can watch? i hate to see you spend the money when youve done so well so far! what ever you decide good luck! if you want more help you can request justin again or i can try again.just let us know and thank you!