Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My front loading washer is leaking in front. There is a small

My front loading washer is leaking in front. There is a small tear of the rubber seal, and that is where water drips. Also spin cycle has become very loud. Please advise!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

does this sound like a jet plane taking off when its spinning ? does it look like the inner drum has been hitting the front part of the outer drum ? do you have the full model number so I can take a look at this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like a jet taking off. Model #110.47789701. We're not sure about the inner and outer drum hitting each other. How could we tell?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
reach in and move the inner tub (stainless) back and forth up and down and also pull it out and in. see if it seems to have a lot of play while I look up your model. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does seem to have a lot of play in the drum, moving back and forth.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Thats not good news.the rear bearing is bad in the drum. thats what caused the leak also unfortunately. it can tear the boot when it moves a lot. this is a huge and expensive repair I'm sad to say. first the boot in the front thats leaking is $100.00 by itself but the real expense is the bearing which only comes with the whole rear tub assembly. its number 8 on this diagram. that rear drum is $389.00 plus special shipping. so to repair this (without labor) is over $500.00. I wish I had better news for you. the whole machine has to be torn apart to repair this and its something I wouldn't recommend doing yourself unless your really handy.sorry. hope this helps though. if you want a link to the parts let me know. hope this helps, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it be better to try and purchase additional support from sears or just look at buying a new washer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
If your going to buy another front load yes. these are extremely expensive to fix when something breaks . Actually whirlpool front loaders are good machines in general but when something like what happened to your its a big job. I hope I've at least helped you. thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its actually a kenmore. I've only had it three years but coverage has expired. Shouldn't it last longer than 3 yrs? What would have caused this type of damage?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay well its says Kenmore but its a whirlpool. Kenmore subs out all its machines to the lowest bidder. anyway yes these should last more than 3 years but thats not always the case. this kind of problem is common on these. do you do a lot of laundry ? do you do comforters and heavy loads ? that can contribute to the rear bearing failure. some of these just go prematurely. its hard to say what caused your failure.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.