Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My front loading washer is leaking in front. There is a small

My front loading washer is leaking in front. There is a small tear of the rubber seal, and that is where water drips. Also spin cycle has become very loud. Please advise!
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

does this sound like a jet plane taking off when its spinning ? does it look like the inner drum has been hitting the front part of the outer drum ? do you have the full model number so I can take a look at this ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does sound like a jet taking off. Model #110.47789701. We're not sure about the inner and outer drum hitting each other. How could we tell?
reach in and move the inner tub (stainless) back and forth up and down and also pull it out and in. see if it seems to have a lot of play while I look up your model. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does seem to have a lot of play in the drum, moving back and forth.
Thats not good news.the rear bearing is bad in the drum. thats what caused the leak also unfortunately. it can tear the boot when it moves a lot. this is a huge and expensive repair I'm sad to say. first the boot in the front thats leaking is $100.00 by itself but the real expense is the bearing which only comes with the whole rear tub assembly. its number 8 on this diagram. that rear drum is $389.00 plus special shipping. so to repair this (without labor) is over $500.00. I wish I had better news for you. the whole machine has to be torn apart to repair this and its something I wouldn't recommend doing yourself unless your really handy.sorry. hope this helps though. if you want a link to the parts let me know. hope this helps, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would it be better to try and purchase additional support from sears or just look at buying a new washer?
If your going to buy another front load yes. these are extremely expensive to fix when something breaks . Actually whirlpool front loaders are good machines in general but when something like what happened to your its a big job. I hope I've at least helped you. thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its actually a kenmore. I've only had it three years but coverage has expired. Shouldn't it last longer than 3 yrs? What would have caused this type of damage?
okay well its says Kenmore but its a whirlpool. Kenmore subs out all its machines to the lowest bidder. anyway yes these should last more than 3 years but thats not always the case. this kind of problem is common on these. do you do a lot of laundry ? do you do comforters and heavy loads ? that can contribute to the rear bearing failure. some of these just go prematurely. its hard to say what caused your failure.