Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

RA - 211

Customer Question

my FRS26R4AW7 side by side just started getting to cold on fridge side. turned down setting still too cold. Damper is open cold air blowing in from freezer. Damper is not stuck if I turn setting to zero it closes.and turn back up it opens.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

You need to replace the damper control which is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN That is the part attached to the control knob on the right and arrowed red in the diagram below. When that part starts going bad that control does not regulate the temperature and will not close the damper until it is turned off. I have one linked below with a one year warranty and a no questions asked return policy.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Control-Thermostat/5304421768/833905?RCAID=1000064

To replace that part you will need a long thin 1/4 inch nut driver or a screwdriver that uses 1/4 inch tips that is long and thin.

Unplug the refrigerator, remove the long screw at the rear near the vent at the fresh food section. Remove the other screw in that same corner panel. Remove the screws under the front panel and that will get you in to the part. Change the part, plug it in and turn it on. That will take care of it.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barry thanks for quick response the part you quoted ( in your link) is described as a freezer temp control but you stated above to replace the unit on the right side of the panel which is refridgerator side...confused is this the correct part for the fridge side? Also this item is $160.00 and currently out of stock. Another supplier seels the whole enchilada part #5304482075 which appears to contain both the fridge control freezer control and a new damper for $ 203.00. Does this make sense to you?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marc, let me double check, I may have made a mistake.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I did make a mistake, and yes I was meaning the control on the right as you open the door.

I was thinking that was just the control without the entire panel. I was trying to get just the control because that panel is expensive.

It used to be that you could get just the control. As a matter of fact years ago I was doing warranty service on those and when we would replace one we were replacing the whole panel and Frigidaire got upset and told us not to do that anymore. Back then you could get just the control, evidently you cannot do that anymore. You might try a local appliance parts store, they may have one they can match up for you. It sure would be a lot less expensive. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNthat is the part with the panel, the lookup for just the control is not there to find anymore. I linked one store below, and you can shop with that part number to get a better deal. I always link this site because I know them and I know they have a year warranty.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper/5304482075/1862747?RCAID=1000064

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Barry, I went ahead and ordered thru repairclinic.com as the one year no haggle return is worth the extra 20 bucks. I thank you for your help. Is it customary to wait until the part comes in and the solution works to rate your service? which by the way so far is excellent!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the compliment. Either way you would like to do it is fine. I know that people try to save money by coming here and I help do that the best I can. So the rules allow me to follow up for 30 days. You can post here anytime within that 30 day period and I always respond, it does not matter if you rate now or not. My normal hours are 8 am to 8 pm eastern time, if you post later than 8 pm you may miss me that day. But you could probably catch me at 6 am because I am usually reviewing, studying and preparing my day at that time.

You have a great weekend and thank you for the opportunity.
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry I have not rated you for 2 reasons. First I just got back in town from a trip abroad. Second your solution did not work. I replaced the entire control panel and the freezer stopped working completely ( 43 degrees F ). Fortunately I was able to return the part for a refund ( minus shipping ) but due to my needing to go out of town I replaced the refridgerator. I am stuck because you were indeed quick to respond and very pleasant to deal with but ultimately your solution did not work. So I do not know how to rate you. I do not wish to leave negative feedback but at the same time do not feel this was worth $30 plus $18 shipping. Please advise.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Marc, there are no other parts that control that damper everything is in that panel. That part had to be no good. Did you put your old part back in? What happened?

Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,I did indeed put the old part in and once again the freezer started working ( back to between 0 and 3 F ) but refridgerator was still too cold at 28 degrees ( at lowest fridge setting ) but I was able to put duct tape over the vent and use the unit until the replacement came in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,I did put part back in. Freezer again started working properly ( 0 to 3 degrees F ) but fridge was again too cold ( 28 degrees F at lowest fridge setting). I put duct tape over vent to frigde and was able to use the unit till new fridge came in.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You got a bad part Marc, thats all that could have happened. That should have worked.

Barry