Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator model number 363.78282890. I

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator model number 363.78282890. I bought it used and came home plugged it in and came back out in the morning. Its blowing but not cold at all. How do I fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Steven my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the freezer is blowing steady. The compressor is warm and not vibrating. There was some kind of nest back there so I cleaned it out. Yes the fan is working as well

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok warm is not all really bad. You will need a part though, the compressor should be vibrating lightly. Give me a few minutes to look it up.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
The parts you will need Steven are attached to the side of the compressor. You will need to unplug the refrigerator. Remove the metal band then pull off the cover. Take a picture of the wires and where they connect then pull 2 those parts straight off. They will fit tightly but will pull off.

Call around and find an appliance repair shop that installs compressors. When you find one that place should have a ton of these. You need a standard compressor overload and relay. If the compressor is not vibrating lightly its not running and these parts are why.

If you need part numbers they are WR07X10055 and WR8X168
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The compressor is vibrating lighty. What else could this be. A local guy said if the compressor is running then it wont be the overload or relay

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the rear inside freezer wall. What do the coils look like behind that wall? Are they very lightly coated with frost from top to bottom?

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No they are not even cold

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

That is a coolant leak. If the compressor and fans are both operating that is the problem. Those coils should have frost on them.

That means you will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

If you think we are finished please leave a rating. If you have a problem leaving a rating type a rating and let me know, especially if you see a blank screen or get an error.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE