Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

We have a GE Profile fridge with a bottom freezer drawer.

Customer Question

We have a GE Profile fridge with a bottom freezer drawer. The lights that show the temperature of the fridge and freezer are blank. Once in a while they light up but we cannot change the temperatures and have them hold. What do we need?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm at work and don't have that information. I won't have access to a computer again until next Tuesday... Sorry, I guess we'll have to wait.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Are your controls at the dispenser or inside? And is it a french door model?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not a French door model. Don't have a dispenser (water). Controls are inside, at the top of the refrigerator.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX am going to need the model number to give a permenant recommendation. Save this page to your favorites. My normal hours are 8 am to 8 pm eastern time. If you have a computer where the refrigerator is email this page link to an email address where you can get it.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In awhile somebody will call me with the model number and I'll tell you.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
That would be great, thanks. I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mODEL NUMBER pds20sbrbrss

Serial # XXXXX

Is this what you needed?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.

Yes thats it, does the refrigerator still cool?

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, refrigerator and freezer seem to be working fine.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.

There are 2 boards in your refrigerator, the main control board and the display board. If the refrigerator is still cooling the display board must be bad. The main control board is what sends power out to the fans and the compressor to keep it cooling.

Removal and Replacement
1. Remove the fresh food light cover.

2. Remove the 2 screws that hold the rear of the control housing to the liner ceiling.

3. There are 3 posts inserted into the liner ceiling holding the front of the control in place. Firmly pull the control housing down at the front edge to release the posts. Pull the housing towards the front to release the tabs in the back.

Note: The foam may be holding the posts and
tabs in the liner.

That will get it out where you can work with it. I have linked the part below.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Control-Board/WR55X10340/1092847?RCAID=1000064

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. We will try it next week.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, have a good weekend and thank you for the opportunity.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm finally ready to go forward with our problem. ( We have our computer back on line.) I clicked on the part you indicated and it says it is a 'Temperature Control Board'. you said the display board must be bad. Will the Temperature Control Board correct the display board? The temperature seems to be ok except we can't change it and get it to hold.

Also, can an amateur install the temperature control board? Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello yes if the digits are going out that is the problem.

Removal and Replacement
1. Remove the fresh food light cover.

2. Remove the 2 screws that hold the rear of the control housing to the liner ceiling

Note: The foam may be holding the posts and tabs in the liner.

I am sorry for the delay I was out.

Barry