Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Maytag dryer M#MDG3706aww that will not try to ig

Customer Question

I have a Maytag dryer M#MDG3706aww that will not try to ignite
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you know if the igniter is glowing on and off or does it never glow when it should be heating?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

never glows

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK so disconnect the igniter and check 120 volts at the wires which plug into the igniter. Do this when the dryer is running and should be heating. Are you getting 120 volts to the igniter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Then you have a bad igniter unfortunately. If you're getting 120 volts to the igniter and it doesn't glow---then only the igniter can be at fault so it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already replaced with new doing same as before

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
then you're not getting 120 volts like you said you were. This means that one of your thermostats is faulty and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I am getting 110 volts and igniter ohms high at 1650 that is why i am spending the time to talk to you

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The resistance in the igniter is much too high. That new igniter is bad. Replace that new igniter and you should be good to go. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

New and Old ohmed the same also audidable. Kelly I don't believe it is the igniter I did'nt think the first was bad but is usally the first thing to go bad so I replaced with the same results

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
With the igniter hooked up, you are certain you are reading 120 VAC at the igniter plug?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I unplugged and checked it that way

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
That is your problem. You cannot test with no load or you will read what is called "phantom voltage." Read it with the igniter attached and I will bet you will show no voltage. Let me know what you read.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok give me a few minutes

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You bet, take your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With the igniter plugged in I am not getting voltage

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Okay, as I had suspected, nice job. Just for future knowledge, anytime you test for voltage, always test with a load applied or the reading you get will be inaccurate. Now, on the flame tube, are 2 thermal fuses. Test each of them for continuity, or remove the wires and tape them together. Let me know what you find. The fuses are pictured below and are shown as numbers 10 & 33 in the diagram.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will check and be back thank you

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You bet, you are doing great and are close to a solution!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am getting continuity through both

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Did you disconnect one wire when testing? I forgot to mention that. When testing for continuity, you will want to remove at least one wire to isolate the component you are testing so you do not read other components in the circuit. Test the cycling thermostat that is mounted on the blower housing, with one wire disconnected. Test between the terminals that have the blue and purple wires on them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I removed 1 wire when checking . I will know check the cycling tstat and get back to you thank you

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, we have to be close! Smile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have continuity between blue and purple with purple wire pulled

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, are you comfortable testing voltage with the power applied?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Withe all wires back on and dryer plugged in, turn the timer to a cycle that calls for heat and test for 120 VAC between the red wire on the high limit thermostat and to ground.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what you find. Thanks for hanging in there, we will get this figured out!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After all of this when I plugged it in check the red wire it came on and lite . I cycled it a couple of times

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
There must have been a loose connection somewhere! You should be good to go, well done! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!