gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs

My Amana washer gets "stuck" between cycles. What could be

My Amana washer gets "stuck" between cycles. What could be wrong? Model NFW7200TW
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

gst85 :

Hi there, could you explain a little more on what exaclty it is doing?

Customer:

Between the wash and rinse, and between the rinse and spin cycles, the washer stops progressing. It will hang up at each of these points and sometimes start again and sometimes not. A full wash cycle can take up to 2 hours this way. I will have to unplug the washer and let it reset to get it moving again.

gst85 :

Does it also seem to have a hard to draining out the water?

Customer:

No. It seems to drain fine.

gst85 :

At any poimt in time does it show an error?

Customer:

It has only shown an error a couple times. nd is what comes up.

gst85 :

The ND error would indicate that the pump or filter is blocked up which could be the reason as to why the machine stops between cycles. has the machine ever been serviced?

gst85 :

Drain pump has a trap on it. It is probably clogged up with who knows what. do this,Take off lower front panel to get to it; trap unscrews right out of the pump housing. Tilt machine against wall to keep most water in it otherwise it will be all over your floor. Inspect pump impeller and make sure it is not blocked with anything as you will easily see it.

Customer:

I can try this.

gst85 :

You sure can. would you like to try it now?

Customer:

I am. It will take me a few minutes as I have to unstack the dryer.

gst85 :

Not a problem, take your time please.

Customer:

There is no front bottom panel on this machine. I tried to remove the entire front panel, but that isconnected to the tub by the door, Could the trap be located somewhere else on this machine?

gst85 :

Yes go around the back, there should be an access panel that you can remove.

gst85 :

You still working on it?

Customer:

I have removed both the intake and outtake hosses from the pump motor. I can't see any filter I am going to remove the pump to get a better look

gst85 :

I dont see a filter on this model.

Customer:

There is no filter on the pump.

gst85 :

Does the inside of the pump look clear?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

If the backflow preventer is not allowed to completely close, could this cause this problem?

gst85 :

That can be a problem. what it also sounds like is your motor thats overheating the shutting down.

Customer:

How can I tell which one is the problem.

gst85 :

When the machine stops, do the lights on the control panel start to flash? or will it shut off?

Customer:

No. Lights always stay on.

gst85 :

There is no way other than opening the control board and looking for burnt spots on it.

gst85 :

How long do you have to wait before you can restart it?

Customer:

It will start right away. Would there be some risidual burning smell if I had just ran a load of wash?

gst85 :

Sometins but just depending on if the how badly damaged the board can be.

gst85 :

About how old is this machine?

Customer:

no smells or burn marks. 5 years old

gst85 :

There are relays on the board which tend to get stuck from the beganning of a cycle. the machine may rin just fine through an entire cycle and it may not.

Customer:

Do the relays need to be replaced?

gst85 :

They are apart if the control board, the board will need to be replaced.

gst85 :

Do you know if it may still be under warranty?

Customer:

it is not

gst85 :

I am going to post the part number for you.

gst85 :

Control board

Manufacturer Number W10273828. you can get it at your local appliance parts dealer.

gst85 :

Let me know if you have any other questions.

gst85 :

Are you stiil there?

Customer:

putting machine back together. I am going to try it one last time before I go and buy a new control panel.

gst85 :

Ok, not a problem.

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs