Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

Have a Gladiator freezer with a refrigator section on top.

Customer Question

Have a Gladiator freezer with a refrigator section on top. Defrost unit has overheated and melted the styrofoam lining. What can we do to solve this?
Serial #EROZZ8748
Mfg. 1/04
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Are you talking about the styrofoam that encases the fan in the top compartment? or the liner itself has melted?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The top compartment after it was removed to make repairs. The freezer inside back was frozen solid. I am worried about fire hazzard/. It was frozen inside top compartment which ebcases fan.

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
The way this unit is constructed, it could not catch on fire inside there, Did you see this while the tech was working on it? Or is it possible that the tech melted it with his heat gun trying to get the ice out of it? That would explain what you saw, There is a safety device inside the freezer that opens up if the heat get to high..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was there when he took it out, he did not do anything to it! We let it defrost on its own for a day and a half.

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
Your only other alternatives is to replace the foam and heater and the defrost tstat, the other is to contact Whirlpool and tell them you think you have a fire hazard on the unit and they will send out a company to investigate, and if they find they are at fault they normally will replace the unit..