Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a 9 yoa Amana ARB9058CS. The refrigerator runs fine

I have a 9 yoa Amana ARB9058CS. The refrigerator runs fine for months and the, without changing settings, the refrigerator starts freezing and the icemaker and water dispenser stop working. Any ideas.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

The only part that can cause food in the fresh food section to start freezing is the damper control. The damper is at the top rear of the fresh food section where the vent is to let air in. It is a self contained temperature control with no external parts.

What it does is open and close to allow air from the freezer in and then close when the temperature is good in the fresh food section to stop the airflow. Its going bad and sticking open at times. You might take it out and try cleaning it, and sometimes there is a spring on the damper that comes loose. If its not stuck open it will need to be replaced to repair the problem. The part is linked below. And it is arrowed red in the diagram at the bottom of the page.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper/67003410/1025326?RCAID=1000064

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the cover and found the slotted plastic belt that attaches to the control knob appears to be broken. The spring looks good.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Really that is rare. Have you taken the top of the control in the front down before? If not I will get the sheet to show you how to get it down and get you a part number for the belt now.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the first time. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
The file below Bill is a pdf file. Its pretty common but if you have trouble with it let me know and I will redo the file. On the first page on the right side describes how to get it out. When you put the new one on turn the knob as low as it will go and turn the corrosponding pulley on the damper in the same direction as far as it will go and install the belt. It is linked below. If you wanted to shop around the part number is XXXXX

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper-Belt/67002482/1007164?RCAID=1000064

CLICK HERE FOR THE FILE.

If you have questions please ask.
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just ordered the part;expensive piece of plastic. The pdf fille isn't downloading and I do pdf all the time. If you could please send in another format, maybe a word doc, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely, give me a little bit to convert it. While I am converting try again, maybe I did not have the download setup right.

Barry

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Try the one below Bill.

CLICK HERE.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry, Thanks. I got it downloaded and printed. Of course, the belt broke for a reason. The damper control knob is sticking. When I tried to adjust by hand I got rust on my fingers. Had to use needle nose pliers to move it. Going to try a little penterating oil for now and probably get a new unit. THanks for the quick replies. Bill

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity Billy. You and your family have a nice labor day weekend.

If you have an appliance problem in the future please return and see us.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.